570 problems

chug1106

Seaman Apprentice
Right bit fed up with my boat that i have not really managed to use yet. When i first bought the boat the ring gear was gone on the flywheel. so now replaced that and the starter. Anyway got it all back in the boat etc, and fired up no problem,had the engine stopped and started a few times, then took it to the sea to launch it, and tried starting it, felt like a flat battery, didn't have power to turn it over, so i thought after lots of different battery's etc relised this was not the case, so took the engine back out, starter off to find the housing all cracked(new starter). I then took the plugs out etc and turned it over by hand, but the engine still felt quite tight, but sort of free'd off, took the sump off and no obvious signs of anything. How easy should you be able to turn these over with no plugs in it?

Any ideas??

ITs a volvo penta 570 model 5.7 v8 in a pro craft( mastercraft sort of ski boat)

failing this, anyone in the uk know of an engine for sale or a block??

:(:mad:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 570 problems

Sounds like you are putting all the blame on the engine, what about the exhaust system? If the manifold and riser gasket surfaces get corroded away, water gets into the cylinders, rust locks the steel rings to the cylinder walls and you have problems.
Yes, you may need an engine, pull the heads and have a look. If you have rust, you better be looking at the exhaust.

chug1106

Seaman Apprentice

Cheers, to be fair i didn't really look at this possibility. Looks like the head needs to come off to
If this is the problem, can you bore the cylinders out or similar or best just getting a new block?

Also if i did need another engine, then what else would fit and be enough to push a ski boat? Surely it doesnt have to be a 570.

captmello

Captain

Even in the UK, i seems a 5.7ltr boat motor would be available.

What is a more common motor?

If the engines out already, may as well pull the heads.

Let us know what you find. Pic are always good.:)