Dogs and kids, what's a little lick between friends?

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Friends came by this weekend with their son, daughter-in-law and their newest grandson. (A pinch over a year old.) My German Shepard ADORES kids. Doesn't have much use for adult strangers but LOVES kids.

So it was a nice day and all us guys went outside while the ladies sat inside chatting. We took the boy outside with us on the open porch and the boy and the dog were having a great time. His dad put him on the deck and the two of them were having a grand time and the boy was laughing his behind off at the dogs antics.

"Mom" heard all the laughter and came to see what was going on and came out the door just as the dog gave the boy a big old lick upside the head. The boy laughed his behind off but mom went ballistic! You would have thought he had just given the kid the plague. She grabbed him up and took him in and got busy dissinfecting the kids face. Believe this, the kid enjoyed the lick a heck of a lot more than the alcohol wipes while mom held him down.

I made the mistake of telling her a dog's lick has never killed a kid that I ever heard of. The look I got in return could have frozen the sun and she launched into a tirade asking if the dog had all his shots, etc.

Good grief.... And yes, Mrs. Bubba told me I should have just kept my trap shut. A guy just can't win.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Dogs and kids, what's a little lick between friends?

Feel sorry for the kid, with a mother like that, he'll never develop an immune system that'll save him from the important stuff.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

It is unfortunate how phobic people have become these days, my boss at work, literally carries a bottle of hand disinfectant in his pocket at all times, I really don't know how any of us made it to the age we are, man when I was growing up, watch out, we were rolling in dirt all of the time!

dwco5051

Commander

When my first was born I think my wife sterilized every thing in the house. I was afraid I was going to have to put my hands in boiling water before picking her up. By number three or four, I forget which, I looked over and saw her eating out of the dog bowl while the dog looked on. My wife's only comment was "watch she doesn't nip her." Time has a way of changing things.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I personally dont really like my dogs licking my face, however I also know that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans. My guess is she's a new mom? I find that a lot of new moms want to wrap their first child in a bubble wrap and by the second and third they are like "what ever".

southkogs

Staff member

I have dogs ... I love my dogs ... I've seen what my dogs lick :eek:

It's not that it's dangerous or anything, but I prefer not to have my face licked by the same tongue that licked _______________ (insert gross dog delicacy here).

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

.... however I also know that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans.

You can't KNOW that ....because it is absolutely incorrect.
If you actually BELIEVE that....I have some swampland ...errrrrrr ....prime Florida ocean front property that I'd like to sell you.

A dog's tongue is not only its wash cloth, it is also its toilet paper. There is no way that is a good combination around a young kid.

Mix a brand new mum who probably overreacted, with an older gent who probably should have known better than to let his dog have free rein around a toddler (whose Mum was an unknown quantity)....and you have a recipe for a blow-up....which is exactly what happened. :facepalm:
Mrs. Bubba sounds like the only rational operator on this one.

Hardly a big deal though....:D

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I personally dont really like my dogs licking my face, however I also know that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans. My guess is she's a new mom? I find that a lot of new moms want to wrap their first child in a bubble wrap and by the second and third they are like "what ever".

Not really yes, not really no.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/dogmouth.asp

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I thought a dog used to be a kids best friend. :rolleyes:

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can't KNOW that ....because it is absolutely incorrect.
If you actually BELIEVE that....I have some swampland ...errrrrrr ....prime Florida ocean front property that I'd like to sell you.

A dog's tongue is not only its wash cloth, it is also its toilet paper. There is no way that is a good combination around a young kid.

Mix a brand new mum who probably overreacted, with an older gent who probably should have known better than to let his dog have free rein around a toddler (whose Mum was an unknown quantity)....and you have a recipe for a blow-up....which is exactly what happened. :facepalm:
Mrs. Bubba sounds like the only rational operator on this one.

Hardly a big deal though....:D

Man's best friend often gets a look at what goes on in the privacy of their human conterparts bedrooms. I would imagine that they think the same way about our tongue's.:D

If you don't want your kid to have the pure joy of a good dog lick, put it in a bubble!:facepalm:

Bigprairie1

Commander

Welcome to the world of the status quo and its modern parenting methods Bubba. :facepalm:
That mother needs a little more reality and a little less fear.....for her this kind of paranoia is only likely to get worse. Exposure to a few easy germs from a couple of quick dog licks probably just extended her kids life by strengthening the kids immune system.;)
How did your friend take it?
BP :)

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I love my dog 'Rosie' and everything about her BUT...........I don't like her licking my face.
My wife has no problem with it.
Rosie knows I don't like it and doesn't do it anymore.

Her bum is too clean to let her lick my face :facepalm:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

A friend of mine has a blue healer mix that sprints for the cat box every time he hears the litter scratching.... He starts drooling while impatiently waiting for the cat to finish.....

I agree that the mom over reacted but OTOH I don't let that dog lick me...... Not a frantic "oh no I'm gonna die" but rather "ugh get off of me and go eat a few more "kit cat bars"

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like mom is one of the reasons we have super bugs today. What bad germs don't kill us make us stronger. Oh wait she kills all the good germs with the bad ones throwing the germ flora out of balance.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I hate it when my dogs try to lick me. I just about have the youngest one broke from doing it. However, a little doggie slobber never hurt anyone that I know of. LOL

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Sounds like mom is one of the reasons we have super bugs today.

You're kidding....right? :facepalm:
I guess anyone who succumbs to a super-bug did not get licked often enough by a dog.

What bad germs don't kill us make us stronger. Oh wait she kills all the good germs with the bad ones throwing the germ flora out of balance.

Maybe Mum wasn't prepared to find out whether the bad germs would kill the kid or make him stronger.:eek:

The kid is under 1 year old...with a less than developed immune system. Kid's have enough of a challenge developing immunities to their day to day surroundings....throw in some off-the-wall stuff and all bets are off.
Raw rabbit anyone?
The chances of a negative result are admittedly statistically slim, but this is a call that is up to the new Mum (sounds like the Dad was MIA) and if she is not OK with this, I am not sure where you get the jam to criticise her....IMO. :rolleyes:

And if Bubba caught both barrels, I wonder how that Dad is doing.... since he was "in charge" at that point.
After all, anything that starts
So it was a nice day and all us guys went outside while the ladies sat inside chatting.
seldom ends well....:D

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Be interesting to know if the guys that don't mind dog slobber on their faces also didn't mind their Mom's licking a tissue and wiping the chocolate from theirs mouths when they were 5 years old.........

.........I think that might be where the phobia came from for me......Mom traumatized me from an early age :mad:

FlaCowboy

Ensign

Maybe mom never had a dog :confused:

Then again...maybe mom read the thread about a dog eating a rabbit :D :facepalm:

TilliamWe

Banned

I have dogs ... I love my dogs ... I've seen what my dogs lick :eek:

It's not that it's dangerous or anything, but I prefer not to have my face licked by the same tongue that licked _______________ (insert gross dog delicacy here).

EXACTLY. Bubba she may have reacted a little over zealously, but she's not wrong, you are.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are many great quotes around but the final responsibility lies with the parents, however that doesn't give them the right to go balistic. For my 2 cents, as a dog/animal lover and grandparent, knowing what dogs lick, I don't want them licking my face, not to mention the face of children. There is a popular disclaimer that goes something like this...past performance does not guarantee future outcomes... ie: if a person survived a gunshot in the past, he is not guaranteed to survive the next one.