1992 90 HP Horn Sounds

I have a 1992 90 HP Evinrude, it had been sitting for a couple of months so it took some help to get her runnin. It idles a little rough, which I am not worried about right now, but if you have any hints on how to adjust the idle I would a appreciate it. My main focus right now is the horn. It doesn't always come on, but when it does it beeps, not continuous, intermittent steady beeps. The VRO is disconnected so I am concerned that this is telling me it's overheating. The heads are not so hot that I can touch them, but the water coming out of the pisser is no warmer than the water going in, which in my mind can't be good. The warning horn does not self test on start up either. Please help as I need this boat in the water and out of my yard tomorrow, or face the wrath and fines accessed by my HOA.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1992 90 HP Horn Sounds

I am not sure why the horn is going off..but you should clean your carbs for sure. make sure you do it right. there are a lot of post in here on carb cleaning. the VRO wiring is disconnected?? Overheat would be steady alarm. maybe a short somewhere.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the wiring from the vro and the oil tank disconnected ? You could also just have a bad horn. Been known to happen in those years.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In agreement with Boobie.... sounds like the VRO wiring harness is still connected at its plug.

The previous owner said it was disconnected, but he also told me the motor was an 85 and it's a 92. Where would I find that harness? I am also pulling and rebuilding the carbs this week, it isn't running right at all and I think it is due to bad gas gumming up the carbs, hoses, etc. Any tips you guys have for that? Or anything else I should do since the carbs will be off? Thanks for the responses!

SparkieBoat

Captain

make sure you clean the carbs real good, I think there is a post in the secret files section on how to do it right. the harness comes out of the VRO/fuel pump, should be 3 wires, about 6 inches up should be a plug, just disconnect it.

I found a plug coming out, but it has 4 wires, if this is it won't it also kill power to the fuel pump?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The VRO pump operates from crankcase pressure/vaccum, not electrical power.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Was the plug disconnected or connected ?? If it was connected, disconnect it and see what happens to your horn.

It was connected, but it seems like there are more wires than needed for a horn. The horn doesn't start right away and it speeds up with the rpm of the motor, if that helps.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the VRO wiring harness. Those 4 wires pertain to the VRO only.

Now, check the warning horn for an overheating situation... Engine NOT running, key in ON position, Find a TAN wire protruding from a cylinder head and ground it out. That grounding will complete the circuit and the horn should sound. If it does not, find out why as that is the only warning you'll receive should the engine start to overheat.

Done and done. I disconnected the harness and I checked the temp sensors the other day, the horn seems to be working just fine. Any way to check the sensors, ohm meter or something perhaps? I won't know whether the horn stays off until I put the carbs back on.