wth happened!?

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
im getting my boat ready for the season, dewinterizing. engine is a mercruiser 1997 5.7 alpha 1 with freshwater cooling, power steering. i took my serpentine belt off for the winter, now when i put it back on its about 6 inches too long even with the belt tensioner adjusted all the way up. i know i have the belt routed correctly, am i brain farting here or is something really wrong? i doubled checked everything i could before i posted to avoid looking like an idiot (its been a few months lol) but im stumped. any ideas. thanks. oh and btw i have a spare one inside the boat, same problem so i know i didnt grab the wrong belt.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: wth happened!?

You don't have the belt routed correctly, you might think you do, but you don't.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i know i have the belt routed correctly

no you don't

sometimes there is a picture of belt routing on the engine, sometimes not

if you post a serial number someone here may have a photo of belt routing they can post for ya

edit: don to the rescue again!

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol thanks guys its been awhile since I worked on it. Figured that's my problem even looked up the belt routing in my manual bc I'm scratching my head. I'm going to go triple check again just wanted to make sure winter couldn't have caused something ,

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

ugh ... just a winter time brain fart. thanks don. i got it now, got freaked out for a moment