Lost my friend and companion of 14 years yesterday

Moody Blue

Captain
Jake was a black lab cross who we adopted as a pup at 5 months old. That was 14 years ago.
We were so fortunate to have chosen him (or maybe he chose us). He was the best behaved, well mannered dog anyone could have asked for. He was truly a member of our family who traveled with us, played with us, vacationed with us. Where we went, Jake went and was welcomed wherever we went. Our two boys grew up with Jake, but he was truly my dog.

Jake was the picture of health until two years ago when he suffered a massive seizure that almost killed him. After several weeks he eventually recovered but was left mostly deaf and blind with some neurological problems. We adapted our home so that he could continue to function as normally as possible and he managed just fine. Recently his health started to decline rapidly and on Tuesday he had trouble getting up and standing on his feet. I knew that I had to make the call but everytime I picked up the phone to call the vet I found myself unable to speak. Finally on Thursday I found Jake laying on the floor unable to stand and in obvious mental distress. At that point I made the most difficult decision I've made in my life. I called the vet and arranged the procedure for yesterday. I took the day off work and spent the morning with him and he had steak with peanut butter and toast as his final meal (his favorite foods). At 2pm, Jake was put to sleep in our home, resting on my lap with his head in my hand as I pet his head. It was peaceful and gentle and quiet and I cried like a baby as I felt the life drain from his beautiful body.

Now I'm not an emotional person but this is hitting me real hard. I always knew this day would come but you are never really prepared for it. I wanted him to live forever as unrealistic as that is. As difficult as it is now, I wouldn't trade a minute of our time spent with him. He has given us a lifetime of memories and I can just hope in return that he knew how much he was loved and cared for. Thanks for letting me share.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lost my friend and companion of 14 years yesterday

Fourteen is a lot of years for a dog, MB, and it sounds like he both had and gave a lot of joy in those years.

I am certain he will live forever in your heart. Treasure the memories. I weep for your loss.

southkogs

Staff member

Good dogs become part of the family so fast. I've lost a couple to old age now, and I can empathize with you. I opted not to wash the nose prints off the windows for a little while ... seemed to help a bit.

Sorry for your loss MB.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

When I was 15 I brought home a toy fox terrier puppy who I named Trixie.... 2 weeks before she would have turned 18 I had to make the same decision you did and it was truly the hardest thing I ever had to do to dig a hole the night before and then take her to the vet that morning..... That will be 5 years ago in a couple more weeks. To this day I can't tell the story without tearing up (like now ugh) and I often catch myself whistling for her when a scrap of food gets dropped on the floor.

It's truly amazing how much an animal can become a part of your life. I feel your pain friend and I'm sorry for your loss.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Jake is in a great place now,no worries,you will see him again.I lost my shepperd of 14yrs and went to the lake and cried like a baby for 3 days.I know the emptyness your heart feels.With time your heart will grow stronger and maybe even another great friend will arrise.I spread my beloved dogs ashes off the back of my boat as my friend drove,only to have them blown into my face and motor cover area.I miss you ANGEL!show jake the way for us.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I feel for you MB. A loss of a dear friend is a loss too deep.
We have had our Rosie for 3 years now and she is a true friend and family member.
Your loss rips at my heart dreading the day we lose our girl.

I'm sure soon you will be remembering every great day you had with him and the pleasure he gave to you and the boys.

Grieve but celebrate the joy he gave you my friend.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MB, You have my sincere condolences. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling. The effect our pets have on our life is amazing. Jake is now able to run and play without the issues that plauged him in his later years. You have my deepest sympathies for your loss.

tpenfield

Staff member

My condolences as well, it is definitely losing a family member. We lost our 8 year old Golden Retriever last year, which was tough . . . and we have a 14 year old Lab that is fairly healthy, but is playing the overtime game.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

The only bright side of a dogs short lifespan is that you can have many during your life. They are all precious, and in my view the greatest creations on earth - I am very sorry for your loss. If there is a place called Heaven, then I have many there waiting for me.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Somehow this post from 2008 seems relevent:
TD was a major-league dog lover, so Jake will be in good hands....:)

dog.gif

TO: GOD

Dear God:
Why do humans smell the flowers,
but seldom, if ever, smell one another?

Dear God:
When we get to heaven,
can we sit on your couch?
Or is it still the same old story?

Dear God:
Why are there cars named after the jaguar,
the cougar, the mustang, the colt,
the stingray, and the rabbit,
but not ONE named for a dog?
How often do you see a cougar riding around?
We do love a nice ride!
Would it be so hard to rename
the 'Chrysler Eagle'
the ' Chrysler Beagle'?

Dear God:
If a dog barks his head off in the forest
and no human hears him,
is he still a bad dog?

Dear God:
We dogs can understand
human verbal instructions,
hand signals,
whistles,
horns,
clickers,
beepers,
scent ID's,
electromagnetic energy fields,
and Frisbee flight paths.
What do humans understand?

Dear God:
More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.

Dear God:
Are there mailmen in Heaven?
If there are, will I have to apologize?

Dear God:
Let me give you a list of just some of the things
I must remember to be a good dog.

1 . I will not eat the cats' food
before they eat it
or after they throw it up.

2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc., just because I like the way they smell.

3 The Litter Box is not a cookie jar.

4. The sofa is not a 'face towel'.

5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff

6. I will not play tug-of-war with Ma's underwear
when she's on the toilet.

7. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch
is an unacceptable way of saying 'hello'.

8. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up
when I'm under the coffee table.

9. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur
before entering the house - not after.

10. I will not come in from outside
and immediately drag my butt.

11. I will not sit in the middle of the living room
and lick my crotch.

12. The cat is not a 'squeaky toy'
so when I play with him and he makes that noise,
it's usually not a good thing.

P.S. Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back?

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for your loss MB.

Jeep Man

Commander

My condolences Moody Blue. Brings back some sad memories.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My condolences MB. I've had to put several dogs down during my life and it never gets any easier. But you always have the memories of the times they made you laugh.

hostage

Lieutenant

I just got a dog last week and I have owned my cat for over five years. I can imagine how hard it must be and your story almost brought me to tears. My fiance lost her lab mix 8 years ago during her graduation party, her whole family was shaken up.

Getting a new dog might help, I think that is what I would do to cope.

In any case I hope you feel better soon.

Moody Blue

Captain

Many thanks for all of your comments and support. It really does help by sharing your personal experiences.

I take great comfort in the fact that he passed away in his home, with the people he loved and trusted. I feel truly fortunate that he was part of our lives for as long as he was, and how he enriched our lives.

I've thought about the "next dog" scenario numerous times over the last couple years but honestly, I don't think it would be fair to the next dog. Jake was an exceptionally well behaved and smart dog. I would be constantly comparing old vs new. Maybe time will change how I feel but for now I just need to get over the loss of my dear friend.

A special thanks to Tim Frank for the post by Tashasdaddy. I really needed the smiles and chuckles. That one is a keeper.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Moody,

I know that there is no such thing as a 'replacement dog', but you need a dog, and there is a dog that needs you.

Please name that dog, "Tasha"

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yes, they are part of the family. Been through the same thing and will be going there again whenever that may be. Treasure the memories.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for your loss MB. Always remember the good times you had with Jake.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I always tear up a little when I read something like this. I've BTDT too, and it's simply... heartbreaking.

MB, you guys were buddies for 14 years. How great would it be for any of us, if our best friend was right there at the end, to tell us how much we were loved, and to help us painlessly take that final step? At the end, Jake knew that he 'done good.'

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

John