My First Obstacle

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer
Putting a Gen 1 in a boat that did have a gen 2 Alpha one in it.
As you can see the location of the top 2 bolts is different.
Can anyone tell me the best way to plug and seal these 2 bolt holes?

418101_2747741653239_1248480775_2070371_1735963909_n.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: My First Obstacle

Lunch at the neighbors house that you should generally avoid:D

Find a post by oops & click through to his hull extension thread. The index on page 1 has lots of info & you can find the different mixes of PB & fillers for different purposes.

PB = peanut butter like consistency mix of polyester resin or epoxy and some compatible filler material that is added after the resins are 'kicked'

You'd mix glass or plastic balloons (micro-balloons) into the resins to make light weigh fillers for faring the hull for pre-paint/gelcoat

Cabosil makes a thicker heavier filler that is used for slightly larger nicks & dings in the hull pre-faring

Milled 1/4 fibers are added to make a still stronger filler that can be used in structural applications. Actual pieces of chopped CSM is used to make 'homemade' milled fibers. A combination of these fibers makes the PB appear to have hair mixed into it.... Hairy PB

Don't forget that the fillers that are added to poly resin are different then those for epoxy

If you don't mind the epoxy repair showing (gelcoat doesn't adhere to epoxy) it would be a stronger PB mix & adjacent to the keyhole & motor stresses it would be better.

It is more complicated then mixing PB hairy & stuffing it in the old bolt hole. W/out glass mat over both sides of the hole & tied into the existing glass, these 2 plugs will tend to crack, allow water to penetrate the transom &/or fall out over time. The glass mat then has to be absolutely below the surface of the existing gelcoat (outside) and fiberglass (inside) so that it can be faired flat & smooth. If not, you risk affecting how the outdrive attaches to the transom & if not correctly aligned it will affect the driveline &/or how the outdrive draws up tight to the hull & gasketting. And also allow water into the transom.

I'd suggest some time reading through some of the resto threads to help make it clearer how to make sure transom & motor mounts are solid before finishing a repower

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I have been doing some reading....what about Marine Tex ?

jbcurt00

Staff member

3M Marine filler (available in different compositions) & Marine Tex (also has different compositions) are commercially available fillers that are 'brand name' products similar in purpose & use as the PB listed in oops thread. Marine Tex is an epoxy, so it's more like the epoxy PB. That may not be wholly accurate, but they are all very similar, and those are products that have a shelf life, even in an unopened can. The PB oops describes can be made w/ materials that would also be used during the repair & resto of the boat. Your buying 1 less product. If you are doing no other repairs, a commercial product may work better for your application. Since the transom has 2 sides that have been glassed, and probably has at least 2 3/4 plywood layers, the 2 1/2" holes that need to be repaired are then about 1.75-2" deep. The existing plywood exposed around the inside of the hole is in a somewhat unknown condition. W/out a good key into the inside face & surface of this 1/2 X 1.75" hole, there is some degree of likelihood of failure. Think knot hole in a plank of wood. Expansion & contraction (stress) causes the knots to fall out. Unless the left behind hole is irregular in shape (keyed), the filler material that expands & contracts at a different rate will also fall out over time.

No matter the filler, keeping the filler in the hole is the difficulty. At the keyhole just makes it a more complicated repair.