76 25 hp Evinrude running on 1 cylinder

rlwilson2

Recruit
Last fall I bought a well maintained 25 hp 76 evinrude longshaft electric start motor. I mounted it on my boat (16ft John I made my self weighs about 325.) Ran good next time I took it out it ran well but would not rev high... took it out a few times on my pond (3 acres) slow running was not a problem... Started it today for first time this spring started messing with it and figured out that I can disconnect the top spark plug and it made no difference in the idle... so I am unfamiliar with the ignition.. and need some help trouble shooting... Thanks Bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76 25 hp Evinrude running on 1 cylinder

So, it was ok when you put it up, right? Check the simple things first----Spark plug!!!! Try a new one, or at least swap them around and see if the problem follows the plug.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get an open air gap spark tester and check the spark on both cyls.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi rl. Welcome to iboats. I think you may have an ignition issue too. Unfortunately, your motor uses one of the newer "improved" ignition systems rather than the much loved old-school, mechanical, universal "magneto" system. I'm not terribly familiar with the exact form of electronic black magic they use, so I tend to stay away from them, but here's a link that can walk you through troubleshooting and rebuilding your system. Good luck. Keep us posted. Hope it serves.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/johnson_9.9_magneto.htm

rlwilson2

Recruit

Thanks everyone! I will swap plugs and start going through it when I have a chance! Bob