Water in Oil

rich4259

Recruit
I have been through these forums and find them very helpful. I had an issue with water in my oil when I took out the boat for the first time this season. I have an 84 bayliner capri with an aq125a 270 outdrive. Reading the posts I feared the worst but I had noticed none were discussing the flapper for the first source of water infiltration. I did however find a number of posts that had asked how important is the flapper.

Well my problem was the flapper and can tell you it is very important! I was told through a boat mechanic when I first noticed it that it wasn't. After reading Don S. respond to a thread I decided to check that first by using the muffs out of water. I ran the boat for 45 minutes without having any water in the oil. I tried to find the part, flapper, to no avail from all the info provided. The part number is 854061. This is the exhaust port that has the flapper. It costs $297 on the site that I found it on. The part number provided in the earlier threads includes all the bottom end and costs $471 on Iboats. This is ridiculous for just a flapper but when I took it off I realized it is riveted on so it's not easily replaced. Being the ingenious fella that I am I made one. It works very well and only cost me my time and $40. Most of that was for the rivet gun, rivets, drill bit, and metal. I purchased a radiator hose from Oriellys and fashioned the new flapper out of that and riveted a metal plate to the back for rigidity and give it a little weitght to pull it back down when at idle. Basically I used the example of the ypipe flappers that are abundant. If anyone needs the directions for making the flapper message me. Don S. you my friend are a wizard when it comes to the bayliner I have. If not for your great discriptions and instruction on these threads I would have spent more money than the boat is worth. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water in Oil

I have been through these forums and find them very helpful. I had an issue with water in my oil when I took out the boat for the first time this season. I have an 84 bayliner capri with an aq125a 270 outdrive. Reading the posts I feared the worst but I had noticed none were discussing the flapper for the first source of water infiltration. I did however find a number of posts that had asked how important is the flapper.

Well my problem was the flapper and can tell you it is very important! I was told through a boat mechanic when I first noticed it that it wasn't. After reading Don S. respond to a thread I decided to check that first by using the muffs out of water. I ran the boat for 45 minutes without having any water in the oil. I tried to find the part, flapper, to no avail from all the info provided. The part number is 854061. This is the exhaust port that has the flapper. It costs $297 on the site that I found it on. The part number provided in the earlier threads includes all the bottom end and costs $471 on Iboats. This is ridiculous for just a flapper but when I took it off I realized it is riveted on so it's not easily replaced. Being the ingenious fella that I am I made one. It works very well and only cost me my time and $40. Most of that was for the rivet gun, rivets, drill bit, and metal. I purchased a radiator hose from Oriellys and fashioned the new flapper out of that and riveted a metal plate to the back for rigidity and give it a little weitght to pull it back down when at idle. Basically I used the example of the ypipe flappers that are abundant. If anyone needs the directions for making the flapper message me. Don S. you my friend are a wizard when it comes to the bayliner I have. If not for your great discriptions and instruction on these threads I would have spent more money than the boat is worth. Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I like You, Already.... Creative Engineerin',... ;)