Is Head Gasket Sealer Necessary or ...

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just put on a new head gasket (1983 15hp) and finger-tightened head bolts. It donned on me that I didn't put any sealer on the gasket and when I look in my manual it states "Do Not Use Sealer If So Stated On The Gasket".

I don't remember seeing that statement on the gasket but I really didn't pay that much attention. Before I torque down the head ... is there someone out there who knows (definitively) whether or not sealer is required. I've rebuilt a lot of land-based engines and have never used any before.

Lastly, I don't have any OMC sealer (or equivalent) and was wondering if there's an alternative lube that can be used i.e. simple red grease, anti-sieze, etc.

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Is Head Gasket Sealer Necessary or ...

Just make sure both mating surfaces are clean and flat.....head gaskets do not normally require any sealant.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is Head Gasket Sealer Necessary or ...

The new head gaskets with the shiny surface do not require sealer.

Be sure to torque the bolts correctly though.

Start in the center, with the wrench set to half the torque value, and torque in a circular fashion spiralling outwards. Then torque again, with the wrench at full value, starting in the center and spiralling outwards.

I also like to dress my head before installing to ensure it is true. Tape a piece of emory cloth on a flat surface such as a mirror, and run the head on it in a figure 8 motion.