Registration nightmare

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Purchased a 74 Aristocraft Nineteen last year in Alabama and now I am trying to register in New York. All I have from seller in Bama is bill of sale. Not enough says NYDMV. I have spent winter fixing boat, will probably spend summer trying to register. Anyone else have problems like these?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Registration nightmare

Plenty of threads regarding issues like this. In NY, you'll need a title (if the former state was a title-issuing state), or a transferable registration signed over to you, plus the bill of sale which sometimes they require to be notarized, sometimes not.

Once, on a sea-doo I purchased from out of state, I slipped the BOS by DMV by just having my signature block notarized, but not the sellers, since I hadn't done it at the time of purchase and didn't want to deal with mailing the BOS back to the seller and hoping he would actually care. Patted myself on the back for that bit of quick thinking all summer long ;)

Bottomline, with just BOS in NY, you're hosed.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Those 'No Papers' CL ads are the kiss of death in NY. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a listing I was tempted to investigate, but discarded as soon as I read those words. It's always the first question I ask- life's too short to spend it losing to the DMV here.

Wish I had some constructive advice for you. Good luck!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

See if you can title and register it in Bama.
Then do it in NY after you have the paperwork in order.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

See if you can title and register it in Bama.
Then do it in NY after you have the paperwork in order.

I have to assume that Alabama would require an additional document besides the bill of sale as well. A bill of sale, by itself, is generally worthless because it would be too easy to forge one and assume ownership of property.

However, it may be possible to file for lost title in Alabama (if they issue titles there), or get them to produce a registration document, and use this to re-register it in Alabama in your name, then subsequently reregister it in NY.

What a mess these situations can become.

kaldeh

Cadet

I live in Alabama and Alabama is a non title state on boats and boat trailers. In fact boat trailers don't have license plates.

UncleWillie

Captain

... and Alabama is a non title state on boats and boat trailers. In fact boat trailers don't have license plates.

In that case you will need to get the boat Registered in Your Name in Alabama.
Then getting it titled in NY should be much easier.

Is sure would be nice if all the states would play by the same rules! :D

EDIT:

There may be light at the end of the tunnel.

It looks like the Trailer is NOT titled in NY, Only registered.

And it is Possible on a good day, maybe, to get the boat Registered without getting it titled if older that 1986.

See the Conditional Registration and Title Requirements section Here.

Not saying this is all true, but it is a start!

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

In Ohio you can license and get registration on home built /modified trailers by gettting certified weight . Why not see what they consider a homebuilt boat ?