90hp Force won't run over 2300rpm

fabenarroyo

Recruit
Ok Guys, here is the story, I parked the boat in November last year in my garage with 1 or 2 gallons of gas. A month ago I decided to replace the impeller, I did and I tested the motor on my driveway, not the lake, everything looked fine. I also replace carpet, recharged the battery and make sure that everything was in good shape. Yesterday, I put 10 gallons of gas and I took the boat to the lake, and then, the problems started. It was idling fine and when I put the boat on plane it only did it for 3 minutes, after that it seemed like the engine lost power and ended it up stopping. Finally after a few minutes, it started and I headed back to the ramp. On my way back, I decided to try it again and it was running at 4400rpm for probably 25 minutes, after that.....again, lost power and ended it up dead, I did the same again and this time I headed straight to the ramp determined to get the boat out the water, I kept the engine running at 2300rpm (of course not on plane) I tried 2 times to get it on plane, but as soon the motor got to 4400 rpm (I normally set that rpm for cruising) it started to lose power and stopped. I noticed then, that the engine wasn't running on it's 3 cylinder. My girlfriend was searching online meanwhile and discovered that the old gas could be the cause of the problem. So, please tell me what to do now, and what do you guys think about this issue.... Thank you much!!!!

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 90hp Force won't run over 2300rpm

Fuel starvation. Next time out, remove the fuel cap. If no problems occur, you have a fuel tank vent clog/restriction. Don't think 4 mos. is enough time to create a stale gas scenario.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's the carpet, you must have used the wrong carpet. Force outboards are VERY sensitive. . . . :)

In a serious note, welcome to iboats- the worlds best forum. Try the above, could also be a fuel pump ( cheap to DIY fix). How did you notice number 3 was down? This could be that a coil is gone. Try swapping coil packs- see if number 3 fires??? Do you use ethanol fuel? Its a big no no, but just checking. get back to us with year model.

I still think its the carpet.

Justin! Thats why my Chrysler 135 isnt running right, I have no carpet! :p

Hope you get some answers soon, These guys have been very helpful in my situation. I live right down the road from you, Im in buckeye. If i was more of an expert I would pop on by and take a look for ya. Im subscribed to the thread....:)

-Jeff

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Do the Force's have fuel filters in them?

fabenarroyo

Recruit

ok people.... that was very funny and I'm starting to think it's the carpet, it looks awesome!!!!

Anyways.... it's 1996 on a Bayliner 1600 Capri, never had a problem before, always had good speed and rpm's even with 3 adult, 4 kids and equipment on it (cooler, towable, food, towels, etc), never had a problem trying to fire it up, at all. My nerd girlfriend (don't tell her I said that) has found online that the fuel can break down after being in the tank for long period of time, any suggestions about that? I'm going to be out of town for 2 weeks, but I'm planning on start working on the motor as soon I get back, I'll start playing the coils and spark plugs (no idea how old they are) and the fuel pump and filter. Something else I should be looking at?

I hope you guys have a great weekend and thank you very much for your help!

Hoffmanmotors, we should get together and take the babies to the lake pleasant one of these weekends, let me know!