Fresh water trolling & downrigger tips.I want you're opinion!!!!

Corona kid

Cadet
Hello everyone :

I am in need of advice,I have a 13ft valco aluminum Jon boat
I recently purchased a cannon mini troller downrigger to troll for lake trout
My questions are,what style and size ball should I use,I am fishing
In 30'to70' of water.also I want to know what kind of clip/line release
Should I use. And my last question is what kind of rod should
Be used trolling for trout, salmon , koke should I use a light rod
Or a medium heavy . I just want to say thanks to everyone
You're answers are appreciated thanks agian

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fresh water trolling & downrigger tips.I want you're opinion!!!!

Ok here is what I know, it's not much, but it seams to work for me.

Ball weight; The weight of the ball depends on a number of factors,The main one is what the downrigger can handle. If it is only rated for a 8 lb ball, don't hang a 15llb'r on it. But the weight does have an effect on back lash. Probably not the right term, but I mean the amount the ball hangs back in the wall. Now the more weight you have the straighter down the ball will be. Also the speed you travel allso depics the weight of the ball. If you want to go fast, then you need more weight to hold down the ball, Backlash again.

The style effects the backlash again, The larger surface area you have on the front of the ball, or water resistance, the farther back the ball will be. So you will probably want either a pancake or fish style. They offer one of the least resistance for the money.

What clip style; This is matter of personal preference. There are all kinds. I tend to use Scotty clips. I use two styles. A staker and rigged on at the ball. They have the same clip, but attach to the line differently. With this style it resemble a clothes line clip. You place the line from the rod between the rubber pabs on the tips, and go fishing. The tension is adjusted by how much you slip it into the pads. Nice simple and clean setup.

Rod's, you will want to use some kind of fast action rod tip that is rated for the size of fish you plan ongoing after. Would not want to break a rod. I use Diawa Heartland rods. They are cheap, 2 piece (easy for storage) and reliable. I have my set of 10 for 6 plus years. They have not given me any problems. Plus when my kids tend to break them I can get replace tips (top half of the rod) for $15. Total rod cost is $35-$45.

Now this is my preferences for where I fish. I fish Lake Erie for Lake Trout. Max size is 15-20 lb's. I use ML rods. I also use the same rods for Inline planner boarding for Walleye's. So I try to make my tackle multi species. You will truley want to talk to the guys in your area. They know what works where you want to fish.

Hope this helps....

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Small boat, small rigg'r - I'd use an 8Lb fish shaped weight. (aka "Herbie") It'll get you to that range.. I would not use a pancake as the fins always get bent the wrong way. Watch the diameter of the cable - use 150 Lb max. Blowback is a bear with the heavier stuff. Rod - I'd agree with the heartland but in the 7-8 ft range. Get a decent reel - one with a good drag. On Lake Ontario, reel quality is more important than rod quality. As for releases, mount a black's right on the cable above the weight. I do not recomend attaching releases to weights as when you make a turn the increased drag will turn the weight. Good luck. :)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do not recomend attaching releases to weights as when you make a turn the increased drag will turn the weight. Good luck. :)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Never thought of that, good one to remember. I'll be deffinately be changing my setups......

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

for clips, i use scottys style clips for trout
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...EQ_104304780?WTz_l=PPC&WTz_l=PPC;cat104304780
as for a rod and reel, i use a 6'6" diawa tuflite rod, and either ambassaduer 300 or my open face spinning reel. attach bells on the rod too. the bells allow u to troll and not have to watch the rods constantly. i fish alone alot, so the bells help.
i dont know about using dr's deeper than 30 feet. manula dr's are a pain by yourself if trolling more than 30 feet, add stacker clips and it gets to be real fun (dont ask how i know).
good luck
dino

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Trolling for trout and Koke's is done at between 1.25 and 1.75 mph at least that's what works best for me. I use a 3lb ball which is plenty and wil hang back about 6' in 50' at that speed. It's best at 25' which is where I usually run. I might throw the 5lb on if the I think I'm lagging back too far but that's rare.

Your best rod won't necesscarily be a conventional down rigger rod. I've always run a 8'6" medium rod with a fast tip and done well. This year I'm going with the new G-Loomis CR-841-1 7' ultra light trolling/downrigger rod. It's pricey but should add a lot more excitement. I just got one this morning and put a Shimano Core 50/51MG7 on it. I'll let you know if it was worth it after I've had a chance to use it.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

For a release you might want to try a Chamberlain Release. You can set that to release on even a perch, while still maintaining a ton of pressure on the rod and not get false pops. Unless the water is wicked cold (at least in Vermont lakes and Champlain) we run 2.1/2.4 or faster and 3.0 and faster once the water warms.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

For a release you might want to try a Chamberlain Release. You can set that to release on even a perch, while still maintaining a ton of pressure on the rod and not get false pops. Unless the water is wicked cold (at least in Vermont lakes and Champlain) we run 2.1/2.4 or faster and 3.0 and faster once the water warms.

You got my attention. Here's the webiste: http://downriggerrelease.com/ These look like something I've been wanting for ages! Are they new to the market? I haven't seen them on the shelves but then I've only been in the local Outdoor Pro Shop recently.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

You got my attention. Here's the webiste: http://downriggerrelease.com/ These look like something I've been wanting for ages! Are they new to the market? I haven't seen them on the shelves but then I've only been in the local Outdoor Pro Shop recently.

They have been out a coupla years. Invented by a Vermonter (imagine that!) up in the Memphremagog end of Vermont.

You can get them a number of places but an easy way is by mail order from our local fishing Pro Shop -
"The Old Fishing Hole" (Morrisville, Vermont) 802-888-6210

Basically this was the release I started using when I got real downriggers (Big Jon) and 10# balls a few years back. Years ago I had this clip thing that you slipped into one of three different diameter rings on the part that went inline with the ball/cable. I had like 15' of thin line tied to a 6# finned "trutrac" ball and just sent it out of the boat. Not much finesse back then :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info Mark, I'll look into it. I don't use the downriggers as much as I proably should. Maybe this will help me get back into using them again.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Well, I *thought* I replied to this last night!

Anyway, sschefer: Downriggers can be an important component of catching salmon and trout, but I have found that on many days Slide Diver Lite Bite set adjusted to 2-1/2 with a 12' to 20' setback behind the diver will out-perform the 'rigger(s). Nevertheless, I wouldn't trade my downriggers away- ever. Too good a tool and lets me run fixed sliders wherever I want to. I LOVE the "15-hook-point" rule when I am in NY and I am trying to get things sorted out, but here in Vermont limited to two lures per line.

Anyway- enjoy your down riggers. I just LOVE watching rods release when a fish hits a 'rigger :D

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mark, How do they hold up to lobster pots?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Well, I *thought* I replied to this last night!

Anyway, sschefer: Downriggers can be an important component of catching salmon and trout, but I have found that on many days Slide Diver Lite Bite set adjusted to 2-1/2 with a 12' to 20' setback behind the diver will out-perform the 'rigger(s). Nevertheless, I wouldn't trade my downriggers away- ever. Too good a tool and lets me run fixed sliders wherever I want to. I LOVE the "15-hook-point" rule when I am in NY and I am trying to get things sorted out, but here in Vermont limited to two lures per line.

Anyway- enjoy your down riggers. I just LOVE watching rods release when a fish hits a 'rigger :D

I like the divers for salmon also. The down riggers have their place but where I fish, a lot of the time I can do just as well with lead core. A lot of guys scoff at lead core saying it takes away from the fight but with 50' leader theres plenty of room to enjoy the catch. I am trying ultra light gear and was out this morning after the smallies. They were a lot of fun but I wasn't sure of the breaking point of the 6lb test with this rod so I was all over the boat trying to keep them out of the motor and not lose them. It was more exciting then just hauling them in and letting them go.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Hey Mark, How do they hold up to lobster pots?

They'll probably hold up just fine, and release when you catch one. You might get the lobster trap to the boat if you have 50# braid and the diver catches the pot, but a spoon with a 10# leader and say good bye to the spoon ;)

Funny Ron! I was just talking about you and catching stripers like yesterday.
On a walleye note- can't wait for the NY trip. I am ready NOW: the boat is ready, leaders are tied, tackle boxes all set. Need to buy at least one new battery; maybe two. New tires on the trailer- probably should check the bearings but other than that- good to go.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget to get the license, and bring tons of crawlers!!!