Buying a new boat and have questions about the powerplant?

Lwapo

Seaman
Hi Everyone,

I posted in the general section about a boat that I am going to take a look at and it was suggested that I ask about the drivetrain here.

Here is the thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=536804

It is a 21' boat with a cuddy cabin. It appears to be very well taken care of, but I know that looks dont' always tell the entire story.

My primary concern at this point is the powerplant. My main concerns are the reliability and the ability to get parts if needed.

The boat has a "Volvo Penta 250 Outdrive" on it. The engine is is a "Commander" that was a 350 and now has a 400 CID. The person selling the boat made sure that I knew that a car/truck motor wasn't put in and that it was indeed a marine engine.

Is this normal? The guy seems to be on the up and up,but I don't know enough to be safe.

ANY info you can give me on what to watch for as I purchase my new boat would be great. I've had smaller 16' runabouts and whatnot, but nothing as big as a 21'. The boat isn't expensive/exotic, but it still worries me as this is my first I/O.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Buying a new boat and have questions about the powerplant?

The person selling the boat made sure that I knew that a car/truck motor wasn't put in and that it was indeed a marine engine.

As I have said many times on these forums, the sellers will tell you anything to get your money.

The 400 was NEVER used by Volvo, Mercruiser, OMC, Crusader or any of the major engine marinizers. Who knows where you would find the proper marine parts for one at.

Lwapo

Seaman

Do you know if a 350 was? He said that it was a "Commander 350"?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The 350 has been used by everybody, 'n Nobody has used the 400...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have no clue what a Commander 350 is. But Volvo has used 350's since the 70's and still does.