Volvo Penta 2007 5.0 Gxi-G fuel pump whistle

Crownie24

Recruit
5.0 GXI-G - 2007
242 Hours

DPS-A 1.95

Carter Fuel Pump Assembly
P61341S

I have scoured the posts to see if this issue has presented itself before and my symptoms are slightly different than anything I have found. If this is a duplicate question please reply with the link and I will be on my merry way and apologize for duplicating a previously asked/answered question.

Engine starts and runs great under load, no squealing present, no squealing upon starting and idle for the first 5-10 minutes either. However once the engine gets to normal operating temps it squeals, I engage the throttle, no hesitation, no surging, and no squeal over 2200-2500 RPM's. The squeal returns after the boat is returned to idle speed, albeit not immediately (usually within 2 minutes of idle) under 2000 RPM's. These are the symptoms I cannot find a similar comparison too. Seems to be the opposite of other fuel pump issues? The boat will idle without surging or stalling but the noise is atrocious. It has done this for the last 4-5 times out on the water and progressively getting worse.

I have checked all connections for tightness, applied plumbers putty to the brass connection made sure the proper clamp type and sizes are in place and secure. It sounds to be coming from the High Pressure pump but not 100% certain. JustJasons/Don S. pressure rig is next on my list and plan to perform the pressure checks as outlined, but thought to ask if this just might be clogged screens at the pump inlets since performance doen't appear to be negatively impacted and increase fuel volume abates the noise. WOT is good with no hesitation and still achieving top speeds/acceleration as before noise began. Plus splicing the fuel lines is still unclear to me and my limited diagnostic experience.

Boat never sits more than a few weeks and I run E free fuel through it ALWAYS. Is there a tech manual that will outline how to check and clean debris in the Carter fuel pump assembly? Is it a good idea to remove the assembly and spray it out with carb cleaner? The thought of $700 for a new fuel assembly doesn't register high on my personal excitement list, nor guessing on the replacement high pressure pump component, but with an upcoming trip to the Keys I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Any insight, time and consideration is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I do have a short video I can share if this will help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 2007 5.0 Gxi-G fuel pump whistle

JustJasons/Don S. pressure rig is next on my list and plan to perform the pressure checks as outlined,

One note, those tests are on the suction side of the pumps, not the pressure side. You don't want to try to use those gauges on the pressure side of the fuel system, that takes different gauges.
However, air is what usually causes pumps to make noises, you should also look at the inlets to the pumps. Volvo was having problems with paint in the filter area coming off and plugging the pumps.

Crownie24

Recruit

Don,

Thanks for the quick response, I will disassemble all connections pre and post fuel pump. Check for debris at the pump connections and clean and re-connect all hoses and fittings securely. Sure hope this does the trick.

"Volvo was having problems with paint in the filter area coming off and plugging the pumps."

Wil spraying the unit at the inlets and outlets with carb cleaner free up this known paint issue? Is there a remedy from Volvo or a tech bulletin on the issue?

Thanks again for the quick response. Hoping to get after it this afternoon and take her out for a quiet squeal free trip tomorrow!

On a secondary issue: Is it possible to upload a video file to the attachment site? I cannot find an format that is accepted? Video file format conversion is not an issue for me, just thought posting "my little piggy squealing" might help some others.

Thanks again.

Crownie24

Recruit

Sorry, pre-mature send......

Will this Volvo paint issue also cause the fuel pump unit to get hotter than I would expect? I've seen some other posts about the surprising heat from the unit and that is a secondary concern as I believe if I can prevent the air infiltration, I will likely increase the efficiency of the unit thus allowing it to run cooler?
Could very well be two separate issues, so my plan is to solve the squeal first and then start back over if it continues to happen.
Thanks again for your knowledge and time you take to help rookies like myself out with the complex world of diagnostics....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You may not have a paint problem with your 2007. You will have to remove the filter and look at the area gas contacts and see if there even is paint.

cdiltz13

Cadet

Crownie24, what did you end up finding? I have exact same symptoms as you, going to spend some quality time with the fuel system tomorrow to try and get to the bottom of this!

Crownie24

Recruit

I removed the fuel pump and cleaned out to the best of a few cans of carb cleaner fluid would permit. Re-assembled and sealed all unions. For the most part the whistle has all but been eliminated. 4-5 more trips out on the water and after a days of cruising near the end the "whistle" had returned albeit softer. Also couldn't get up to WOT RPM range I was used to. Shut the motor down, re-started a few minutes later and hasn't happened again, I've had it back on the water three more times since this occurrence and everything has been stellar.
I have a feeling I have a low pressure pump issue and boat with a fuel pump assembly on life support.

cdiltz13

Cadet

I know how you feel! However, I don't want to just replace the fuel pump assembly without identifying root cause - especially at that price! I'll keep you updated if I find anything on this end.

tarheelgwb

Cadet

I know how you feel! However, I don't want to just replace the fuel pump assembly without identifying root cause - especially at that price! I'll keep you updated if I find anything on this end.

Hi, I am new to this as well. like you my 5.0Gxi-G with 24 hrs developed a noticeable whine during idle. once the RPMs get above 1000 or so, the whine goes away. i think it is coming from the high pressure pump as it is getting very hot.
reading some of the posts, i have a few things to test/verify. i bought the boat used, (2008 model) last weekend and this was my maiden voyage. all went well and even after the whine started i didnt notice any degredation of performance. the previous owner told me the fuel filter had just been replaced, although i could not verify so i plan to
replace it 1st, and also check the fuel lines for crud. i also saw comments about the cooling lines being clogged. i dont recall seeing them however i havent really looked.

any other suggestions?
thanks

cdiltz13

Cadet

Mine turned out to be purely electrical - the plugs connecting both the high and low pressure pumps were very corroded. Unplugged them, shot them with some electrical contact cleaner, put in some dielectric grease, and haven't had a whine in a few weeks!

tarheelgwb

Cadet

thanks for the reply. i plan on doing some inspecting of the whole system tonight and may replace the filter too just in case.

tarheelgwb

Cadet

I removed the fuel pump and cleaned out to the best of a few cans of carb cleaner fluid would permit. Re-assembled and sealed all unions. For the most part the whistle has all but been eliminated. 4-5 more trips out on the water and after a days of cruising near the end the "whistle" had returned albeit softer. Also couldn't get up to WOT RPM range I was used to. Shut the motor down, re-started a few minutes later and hasn't happened again, I've had it back on the water three more times since this occurrence and everything has been stellar.
I have a feeling I have a low pressure pump issue and boat with a fuel pump assembly on life support.

Just wondering if you ever fully determined the issue or replaced the pump? i am having the exact issues that you are reporting with my 2008 model. i havent removed the filter yet, though it has been recently replaced by the previous owner ( i just bought it two weeks ago). the volvo service guy wants me to bring it in (of course) to let them analye it.

thanks

Dave Dup

Cadet

Try this test: Remove the 5/16" vapor reservoir cooling hose from the exhaust riser connection. Plug the exhaust riser connection. Before you start the engine allow the coolng hose to run in the bilge or extended it overboard. Start the engine and see if the pump gets hot or whines after idling for awhile.

tarheelgwb

Cadet

Try this test: Remove the 5/16" vapor reservoir cooling hose from the exhaust riser connection. Plug the exhaust riser connection. Before you start the engine allow the coolng hose to run in the bilge or extended it overboard. Start the engine and see if the pump gets hot or whines after idling for awhile.

Update: i did some testing this weekend. i removed the fuel filter and inspected the underside of the filter mount. i touch the flat place where the filter seals goes and saw some corrosion. i scratched off all the paint, corrision and lightly brushed it smooth. looks like the paint just pealed right off..... anyway put a new filter on. tested no leaks. i then did the cooling hose test above. i removed the hose leading to the exhaust riser and plugged the connection at the riser. directed the line to the bilge and starter the motor. i let idle for a minute then increased to about 1200 rpms to get the temp up (about 150+-) . After about 10mins i went back idle then i started hearing the whine. it started soft then got louder to about what i heard before. the fuel line from the high pressure pump was hot, however i was able to hold it without getting burned so the temp could not have been more than about 100-120degress i suppose. the water was coming from the line pretty good but not a smooth consistent flow. now i dont mean it started and stopped but it did pulsate some but flowed what appeared to be freely. the water felt cool, but i expected it to be warm.

i didnt do any other tests as i wasnt really sure what to try next.

any suggestions?

davidlees

Seaman Apprentice

First, let me say that I am not an expert but you may want to check the pressure regulator. There is supose to be a screen(filter) inside and it may have trash in it. As far as the paint issue in the fuel pump, that entire unit is painted inside not just at the filter and mine was blistering not only in the filter area but in the top of the fuel cell. In fact that was the worst area.
Volvo has issued a service notice about removing the screen in the regulator and adding an e clip.

tarheelgwb

Cadet

First, let me say that I am not an expert but you may want to check the pressure regulator. There is supose to be a screen(filter) inside and it may have trash in it. As far as the paint issue in the fuel pump, that entire unit is painted inside not just at the filter and mine was blistering not only in the filter area but in the top of the fuel cell. In fact that was the worst area.
Volvo has issued a service notice about removing the screen in the regulator and adding an e clip.

i was planning to do that, but was a little afraid to attempt it. i am not have a performance issue that i know of. i have used the boat only once since i got it two weeks ago. not sure what to expect however my brother and I both feel the initial take off from the hole is somewhat sluggish, then after about 5 secs the RPMS jump up quickly. not sure if that is normal.

would a clogged screen on the regulator cause the whine?

tarheelgwb

Cadet

PS where can i get the clip to replace the screen?

davidlees

Seaman Apprentice

From what I understand if the screen in the regulator is somewhat pluged then it will create too much back pressure on the fuel pump making it run hot and make noise. I'm not sure where to get the clip. the dealer replaced mine when the pump failed.

tarheelgwb

Cadet

just a recent note. i just removed the screen in the regulator and installed the clip. the screen had several black spots, posibly paint from the pump. my concern now is if the paint will continue now, since the screen is gone, travel into the fuel injectors? my volvo mechanic knew about the service bulliten of removing the screen so its not new. just wondering what the next failure point will wind up being. any thoughts from anyone on this?

Dave Dup

Cadet

Hello tarheelgwb,
After switching the fuel pressure regulator screen out with the c-clip and you still have a whine at idle and the high pressure pump gets hot to the touch, you may be experiencing the same problem I had. I tried everything that was suggested on the forum regarding a whinning high pressure pump at idle including a purchase of a new pump assembly and nothing worked. Finally, I removed the vapor reservoir cooling hose connection at the exhaust riser to see how the water was flowing. You have to plug off the hose connection at the riser otherwise water will shoot out of that as well. Once the exhaust riser connection is plugged let the vapor reservoir cooling hose run into the bilge or extend it overboard and let the engine idle for as long as you want. If you have a good flow of water at idle this should cure your problem. About four weeks ago I plugged off the exhaust riser connection for the small cooling hose then plumbed the cooling hose out the side of the boat using a thru-hull fitting. I have been trouble free ever since.
I believe that cooling water back pressure in the exhaust riser is equal to or slightly higher at the exhaust riser connection where the small vapor reservoir cooling hose connects. This only occurs at idle.
Some boaters may not do much idle time and others may do extended idle such as fishing or traveling in No-Wake zones. I think it depends on how you operate your boat as to whether or not you experience a whinning and hot high pressure pump issue.

I just noticed in your earlier post that you tried this test before you changed out the filter on the fuel pressure regulator, it's possible that that could have been the issue causing back pressure in the fuel lines insted of the cooling line problem.

Last edited: