pre-alpha gimbal interchange

bigblackcat

Cadet
So I'm looking for a replacment gimbal assembley for my 1968 19' gulfstream. The engine is
a 160 mercruiser (inline six). The pre-alpha gimbal was disassembled and just hang'n there.
So i want to replace it with another pre-alpha. I found one from a similar vintage 140 (inline
four). So my question is will this gimbal assembley for for my boat, and will my stearn
drive assebley bolt up and work???

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pre-alpha gimbal interchange

So I'm looking for a replacment gimbal assembley for my 1968 19' gulfstream. The engine is
a 160 mercruiser (inline six). The pre-alpha gimbal was disassembled and just hang'n there.
So i want to replace it with another pre-alpha. I found one from a similar vintage 140 (inline
four). So my question is will this gimbal assembley for for my boat, and will my stearn
drive assebley bolt up and work???
Just for your information there is no such thing as a pre alpha you have a MC-1 outdrive
so when you buy parts you can give them the right info

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 5

cr2k

Captain

Everything made before the Alpha was Pre-Alpha. Like saying there's no BC.

Not an official name but it is still pre alpha.

bigblackcat

Cadet

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
I'm assuming that the engine will need to be pulled to
replace the gimbal and transom plate?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I'm assuming that the engine will need to be pulled to
replace the gimbal and transom plate?

yes

and that goes for MC-1, R/MR, Alpha One, Alpha One Gen II, Bravo 1, 2, 3,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

and doesn't help anyone correctly identify anything. We are trying to get the term "pre-alpha" out of use here. It's of no help to anyone. If you walk into a shop and ask for a water pump base, as an example, for a 'pre-alpha' there's a very high likelihood you'll be given the wrong one (as there are 4 different ones for drives from 1967 to 1985)...

Let's get everyone using the RIGHT names for things.

MC-1 - 1967 to 1982
R - 1983-1984
MR - 1985
Alpha One - 1986-1990
Alpha One Gen II - 1991- current

I understand what you're saying, if it's before the Alpha One, then technically it is 'pre-Alpha', but.....

Chris.......

bigblackcat

Cadet

I'm new to the boating world, so I appoligize for the incorrect terminology.
So let me ask this; So a MC-1 gimbal from 140 will work for my 160 mercruiser engine. what
upper stern drive ( I hope I got that term correct ) would fuction on that gimbal? And
what lower gear case ( not sure if thats what its called ) would interchange?

Mark

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I understand what you're saying, if it's before the Alpha One, then technically it is 'pre-Alpha', but.....

i think you may be fighting a losing battle here chris

there are probably a dozen or so folks here who are truly familiar with how merc went about naming their drives throughout the years

yeah, it bugs the heck outta me too!!

but.........whatcha gonna do??

your best ally with ordering parts is a serial number, then model number, then (shudder) year

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm new to the boating world, so I appoligize for the incorrect terminology.
So let me ask this; So a MC-1 gimbal from 140 will work for my 160 mercruiser engine. what
upper stern drive ( I hope I got that term correct ) would fuction on that gimbal? And
what lower gear case ( not sure if thats what its called ) would interchange?

Mark

The gimbal housings for your 160 is the same as a gimbal housing from a 140 to around 1983. (The rear engine mounting point were moved closer together for the later ones.)

Upper housing is called Drive shaft housing and lower is called Gear housing.

All the uppers, lowers and gimbal housings are completely interchangeable up to year 1990. That is the complete housings, not internals. So onto your MC-1 gimbal housing you could have an Alpha One drive shaft housing and an R gear housing bolted to that.... or an R drive shaft housing on an MR gear housing... Just make sure the ratio (determined by the tooth count in the drive shaft housing) is correct for your application. Your 160 should have an overall ratio of 1.68:1. As that's no longer available you can use a 1.65:1 ratio, as far as your engine's concerned, no difference....

So, to answer your original questions....

.... will this gimbal assembly for for my boat, and will my stern drive assembly bolt up and work???

Yes, and yes.....

If you ever need to replace the drive, consider an SEI drive. Complete assembly for ~$1300, separate housings also very cheap....

Chris.......

dub283 said:
i think you may be fighting a losing battle here chris

and cr2k should know better! From what I've read he's very knowledgeable and I suspect he's either a Merc dealer or was....

We change the world, one person at a time... :D :D :D

Cheers....

bigblackcat

Cadet

To get the gear ratio, would i need the serial number off the drive shaft housing? How does one check the gear
spline and figure it out that way?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm curious... how much is this gimbal housing costing ya?
the BEST way to determine gear ratio on OLD stuff is to pull the top plate and count teeth or turn the input shaft and count revs or the prop shaft.... 30+ years is a long time to have not have been swapped around by a previous owner

bigblackcat

Cadet

I'm curious... how much is this gimbal housing costing ya?
the BEST way to determine gear ratio on OLD stuff is to pull the top plate and count teeth or turn the input shaft and count revs or the prop shaft.... 30+ years is a long time to have not have been swapped around by a previous owner

Gimbal houusing is from fresh water boat and is $250.00 with the rams.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

im not sure if you mentioned before but the gear ratio should be on a tag on the side of the upper gear housing