1973 40hp Johnson Where is the Pee Stream tube, is there one???

kmercury

Cadet
I replaced the impeller on my 1973 Johnson 40hp and test ran it... runs great.... but I see no pee stream or any tube hanging down where a pee stream should come out. Does it come out father down on the gearcase? Does it come out the water bypass plate? I see an exhaust port mid-way up the exhaust housing but nothing but exhaust is comming out of that one....

Photo attached for reference

Boat 1.JPG

Thanks

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1973 40hp Johnson Where is the Pee Stream tube, is there one???

Is there any water coming out of that hole that you circled? I am pretty sure water should be spraying out of there with the pulse of the exhaust.

kmercury

Cadet

Nothin... Bone dry, just oily exhaust

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Overboard water indicators, pee streams, or tell tales were not add to OMC outboards until 77.

Easy to add one though, theres an article about doing that in the Top Secret file at the top of the forum.

In the meantime you could use an infared thermometer, or you're fingers to test for cooling. After running a bit in the water barrel, the cylinder head temp should be around 140?, or about 3 seconds to hold your finger on the cylinder head before it feels too hot to touch.

kmercury

Cadet

Went out and started it again and it started spitting water like mad.... must have needed to be primed or something.... thanks for the help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

When testing in a barrel be sure the water is up to the bottom of the clamp.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Overboard water indicators, pee streams, or tell tales were not add to OMC outboards until 77.

Easy to add one though, theres an article about doing that in the Top Secret file at the top of the forum.

In the meantime you could use an infared thermometer, or you're fingers to test for cooling. After running a bit in the water barrel, the cylinder head temp should be around 140?, or about 3 seconds to hold your finger on the cylinder head before it feels too hot to touch.

That hole that he circled still spits water.