MAY be a newbie question, but how does this thing work?

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know about the trim, but the gear/button/neutral ? It says pull out for neutral. I did that and it doesn't shift gears, but it doesn't operate the throttle either. If I lift the lever, it will go in gear but the throttle doesn't operate. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have something broke? I have the engine cover off and I was watching the linkages. I didn't want to force anything. If someone could give me a run down I would appreciate it. BTW, I have the whole family registered for the safe boating course middle of April.

6838845532_0758f4d933.jpg

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer
Re: MAY be a newbie question, but how does this thing work?

If you pull the handle out towards you that places the engines in neutral for starting. You can push it forward to raise the idle and clear the motor. Back to center squeeze the button and forward into gear back to center squeeze and back for reverse.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SO even in the back yard, the throttle linkage should be moving?

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it should, I have to push mine forward a good ways before it does anything. Might want to try again.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

worked like a charm! I think I may need to lube the linkage. Thanks! Now that that is out of the way, I'm ready for the water! :facepalm::eek::p

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

No problem, glad to help. Theres no thing as a stupid question, except for the one that goes un asked.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

No problem, glad to help. Theres no thing as a stupid question, except for the one that goes un asked.

Oh, I don't know. My neighbor has a few. :D