Starcraft tinny transom question

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I inherited a 14 foot 1965 Starcraft Seafarer tinny. Weather is getting warmer here in NJ so I am getting ready to sand the boat, Glovit, and paint it. I made new benches and transom out of outdoor plywood. The problem is the transom top has no plate to cover it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I could use or go about having some sort of a cover for it so as to protect it from water and general abuse. Attached are some pix. I just slid the transom down into the bracket for photo purposes to give you guys an idea what I am talking about. Any thoughts are really appreciated

Attachments

• transom3.jpg
    transom3.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • transom1.jpg
    transom1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Starcraft tinny transom question

That transom looks rugged. There are some options.
1) Take it to a metal fab shop and have one made.
2) Make your own. Bend aluminum or copper flashing over it with a rubber hammer and trim the edges.
3) Trim it out with wood and epoxy it down.
4) Prime and paint or 5 coats of spar varnish and call it good.
There are probably more. Good luck and post picks when your done. I'd like to see the rest of the boat.

64osby

Admiral

If you're a bottom feeder go to the local scrap yard and pick through the Aluminum pile for some angle or U channel. Heat and bend to fit.

Or search out a local alum. supply house and buy some L or U to fit, still would have to heat and bend it.

The transom board looks nice.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I like the spar the hell out of it suggestion.
Good looking woodwork there

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The copper flashing sounds unique, but I think the copper (sulfate) might react with the aluminum down the road. Don't know what I will do yet, but thanks again for the options. By the way, that wood has 10+ coats of spar over it already....:D

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Another option would be several coats of a epoxy, such as the West System sold here on iboats. I coated my transom with it and although I reused my aluminum cap the epoxy seemed to have a very abrasion resistant surface, I had to purpose to scratch it with a screwdriver. Just anotgor option.