connecting rod compatibility for 1976 Johnson 135

dweber

Cadet
Hello!

My first post to this great forum! I have a 1976 Johnson 135 hp motor I am rebuilding with three messed up rods. I took the motor to a not so reputable boat repair shop to complete the rebuilt and they cracked three of the four rods putting my motor back together. The mechanic did not realize that the rods were "cracked rods" and needed to go back together with matching caps. I got the block home and in about 5 minutes figured out which ones matched, but it was too late the damage was done to the inside bearing surfaces (chips etc). The block was dismantled by myself and my brother and we kept the rods and caps together for each piston/cylinder. As usual the repair shop denies any wrong doing....

My question is will 1977 85hp Evinrude powerhead rods fit in my 1976 135 johnny?

I have the 85 hp as a spare sitting in my garage. I don't want to tear it down unless I know for sure that the rods will fit, as I want to get the 85hp motor running if possible as well. I already tried another set of rods from a 1973 85hp johnny, they were too small (diameter) at the crankshaft end. I went to a more reputable repair shop and they tried to sell me 3 rods that seemed as if they would fit but with less "material on the rods" than my originals -less threads on the rod for the rod bolts etc. The 135 motor rod caps have oil holes, whereas the repair shops suggested replacements did not have oil holes (They think those rods came out of a newer 150hp motor).

Thanks!

DW

Haffiman

Commander
Re: connecting rod compatibility for 1976 Johnson 135

Go to either Marine Engine (.com) or shop.evinrude.com, look up the parts lists and compare numbers. Whenever replacing rods and pistons, double check the weight!!!!

dweber

Cadet
Re: connecting rod compatibility for 1976 Johnson 135

Haffiman - thanks for the tip! I checked and they match via the superseded part numbers on the Marine Engine site. The BRP site had the original parts numbers... Several years for motors between 85-140hp matched. I will give them a try and post pics of the two rod types side by side.

Thanks!

DW