Coyote , Wolf or Hybrid ?.......82 pounds ?

JRJ

Commander
Re: Coyote , Wolf or Hybrid ?.......82 pounds ?

Looks like wolf. Quite an animal.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow! That's quite the animal

oops!

Supreme Mariner

eoe.....cyooot on steroids.

it looks like a wolf

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boy, I don't want to meet that in the wild. Or a dark alley.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Grey wolf. The question is how it got there?

Jeep Man

Commander

I know wolves aren't native to the island, and for that reason I'm going to discount it as a wolf. Probably is what is known around here as a coydog, a combination of coyote and a wild dog. I've seen them in the fields on occasion. Dogs that have survived on their own in the wild with German Sheppard and or Husky in their bloodline have bred with coyotes and resulted in animals that are near 100 lbs. They are quite vicious, unpredictable and not afraid of humans.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Doesn't look like any coyote I've ever seen and we have a bunch. The coloring and size looks just like a wolf..... Judging by the blood spot, the guy made a lousy shot...

robert graham

Admiral

I'm in South Carolina and talking to several farmers, hunters, landowners around here, seems to be an explosion of Coyotes, Wolves, High-brids, whatever they are. Most folks, myself included, might be inclined to shoot one on sight, since they can pose a real danger to folks, pets, livestock. We've always had foxes, racoons, possums, etc., the usual wildlife back in the woods, and as long as they're behaving themselves in their normal way, they're welcome on my land, but these other critters, not real happy with their presence.;)

halfmoa

Ensign

I'm in South Carolina and talking to several farmers, hunters, landowners around here, seems to be an explosion of Coyotes, Wolves, High-brids, whatever they are. Most folks, myself included, might be inclined to shoot one on sight, since they can pose a real danger to folks, pets, livestock. We've always had foxes, racoons, possums, etc., the usual wildlife back in the woods, and as long as they're behaving themselves in their normal way, they're welcome on my land, but these other critters, not real happy with their presence.;)

We've had problems with coyotes being in town recently (~20K population town). The city has more or less refused to address the situation regardless of the fact that they've been in the backyard of a day care and on the playground of both the junior high and one of the elementary schools. The other night we had a citizen report of a coyote standing in traffic at a 4 way intersection in a heavily populated residential area. While enroute we got a report of shots fired in that same vicinity. By the time units got on scene there was a dead coyote in the middle of the intersection...well at least someone is doing something about it.

robert graham

Admiral

I notice that Tractor Supply sells Coyote Traps(Have-a-Heart type- non-lethal)...only problem, how would you keep all the other wildlife out of the trap?....I imagine if you've got chickens, geese, rabbits, whatever, it's gonna draw them critters. Our neighbor lady keeps a lot(25+) of cats, indoors and outdoors, and the Coyotes are always lurking around and howling at night. Every now and then one of her cats just "disappears".....

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Another problem for you Robert is I don't know of a less then lethal trap for a 70+Lb animal short of a bear trap and you need a trailer for those!

This may be a Wolf, Wolf/Coyote hybrid or a Coyote/Dog hybrid either way its a hell of an animal, certainly the biggest Coyote I have ever seen if that's in fact what it is.

JRJ

Commander

I agree WIMUSKY, poor shot placement.........

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

some more pics of it

Attachments

• MWSnap014.jpg
    MWSnap014.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MWSnap013.jpg
    MWSnap013.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MWSnap012.jpg
    MWSnap012.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MWSnap011.jpg
    MWSnap011.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

now thats a biggie for sure.....I do a lot of backcountry Xcountry skiing by myself here in Newfoundland but after seeing how big they grow to i may just start to be a bit more observant and carry a Bowie knife with me as we aren`t permitted to carry sidearms in this neck of the woods !.....sure wouldn`t want to run across one on the trail or worse yet a pack of them.....

rickryder

Commander

Being the owner of a wolf hybrid...... that breaks my heart to see :facepalm: I am also a hunter but don't see the need to kill a wolf. It's not like the person will eat it so it's just shot for sport.....:mad: I do understand that if the animal is a problem or causing a REAL danger to humans,pets and livestock that needs to be addressed. Trying to trap or dart the animal first and if that fails do what needs to be done and shoot it.

That looks like a grey wolf.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

now thats a biggie for sure.....I do a lot of backcountry Xcountry skiing by myself here in Newfoundland but after seeing how big they grow to i may just start to be a bit more observant and carry a Bowie knife with me as we aren`t permitted to carry sidearms in this neck of the woods !.....sure wouldn`t want to run across one on the trail or worse yet a pack of them.....

I agree with you a knife is an excellent choice, that way you can stab your skiing partner in the leg so you can get away:D:D

In all honesty, If I knew that animal was in the area where I was, I would be properly armed or I would not be in that area, I have been asked in the past to do so and refused(for work) the customer has always made exceptions(the Feds) or done without my services, my life is more important then money.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Being the owner of a wolf hybrid...... that breaks my heart to see :facepalm: I am also a hunter but don't see the need to kill a wolf. It's not like the person will eat it so it's just shot for sport.....:mad: I do understand that if the animal is a problem or causing a REAL danger to humans,pets and livestock that needs to be addressed. Trying to trap or dart the animal first and if that fails do what needs to be done and shoot it.

That looks like a grey wolf.

I would agree with you, I eat what I hunt, MOSTLY, Prairie dogs are a favorite past time of mine, but I am also not in a situation where Wolves are taking livestock either in fact "Officially" Wolves are not in Colorado yet although I know differently from DOW and FPS personnel that I know on a personal level. In the case where Wolves are taking livestock I believe the owner of the livestock has the right to protect his property, I also believe we have to keep Wolf numbers in check, after Wolves were hunted to extinction in the lower 48(for the most part) they have as much a right to live as we do, but we are the dominant predator not them, they have plenty of resources at their disposal which is clearly obvious be the explosion in Wolf Population since reintroduction, now we need to keep them in check. I hope I never have to shoot one though incredible animals(Wolves are Coyotes not so much LOL).

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Malimute (sled dog) shepard cross) ????

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

123-1.jpg

It's just a fox; nothing to worry about :D:D:D