Driving boat w/convertible bimini top up?

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice
Mine mounts on the side windshields and snaps to the front windshield. Is it ok to drive the boat around the lake with the convertible bimini top up on calm days or windy days? I was told that I shouldn't but it seems kind of stupid to put it up and take it down all the time on the lake.

(If this sounds like a newbie question thats because it kind of is.) Ive never had a bimini top before. :)

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Driving boat w/convertible bimini top up?

A lot of folks run with the bimini up. Just start off easy and see if the fastenings are able to stand up to the wind.

robert graham

Admiral

It's probably not going to stretch/damage your bimini top as long as you keep your speed under 70MPH!;)

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

This isnt my boat, I just googled for a pic, but mine is identical to this one all the way down to the paint colors.

2000 Monterey 2.jpg

Last edited:

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I had that version on my previous boat and it works fine underway. I am tall and didn't like have to stoop over all the time so I ended up replacing with a standard bimini. Nice looking boat...have fun!

jkust

Rear Admiral

That looks like a Navy top not a Bimini top. I have that top on one of my boats from the 80's and because you can't stand up under it, it's seen the light of day twice. If the center window is shut and the center panel is zipped shut, Im thinking you can tool around pretty fast compared to a bimini with the open design. I think my bimini top on my sig boat says to keep it under 30mph but it is the large wind gust that I'd be afraid of not a sustained 30+ mph on a calm day.

89mercruiser

Seaman Apprentice

That looks like a Navy top not a Bimini top. I have that top on one of my boats from the 80's and because you can't stand up under it, it's seen the light of day twice. If the center window is shut and the center panel is zipped shut, Im thinking you can tool around pretty fast compared to a bimini with the open design. I think my bimini top on my sig boat says to keep it under 30mph but it is the large wind gust that I'd be afraid of not a sustained 30+ mph on a calm day.

My dad's boat is an 89 and the top is the same way it's up overhead in the garage. I think in the last 9 years of the boat being in the family it's been used 1 time. We have seat covers now for the new seats to try keeping them clean when boat is on the trailer or docked while on vacation.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

I just googled it (yes, I know I google everything) and it looks like navy and convertible biminis are pretty much interchangeable words for the same thing. Anyway, I have several friends who all converted to the standard bimini tops since like you they coudlnt stand under it, and my uncle in law wanted to be able to stand up while he drove because he didnt like looking through the windshield. So far I dont mind looking through the windshield but then again ive only had the boat out twice and there was no one else on the water either times.

I worry that this top, since its mounted to the side windshields, if it ever twisted or collapsed it may crack or damage the glass.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

@ Coastal Richard: Thanks, I like the boat a lot, i just bought it a couple weeks ago. Its a 2000 but only has 177 hrs on it! The previous owner took great care with it.

Apadilla

Cadet

on a side note what motor a prop do you have. i have the same boat with a 4.3 motor and a 14x20 4blade prop we love it.

haulnazz15

Captain

If something on the top fails, it will be the fabric. The windshield won't even know it's attached to the bimini.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

Ive got a 19 pitch prop on a 3.0 Mercruiser with an alpha one outdrive. Trimmed right and it will go a little over 45 mph. So far we love it! I wonder if a standard bimini top will fit into the bimini compartment behind the motor? Have you ever tried it?

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My bimini came with a note warning not to operate the craft over 35mph with the top deployed.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Ive got a 19 pitch prop on a 3.0 Mercruiser with an alpha one outdrive. Trimmed right and it will go a little over 45 mph. So far we love it! I wonder if a standard bimini top will fit into the bimini compartment behind the motor? Have you ever tried it?

Champ, I didn't like the windshield mount either so I mounted the bimini flush to the gunwale (side or top works) and used upright supports with two snaps to the front windshield for the straps...worked like a (YOU!):D

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a top like that but I'd rather stand while driving, so I replaced it with a normal tall bimini.

The only time I ever used the top that attaches to the windshield was to prop up the full boat cover, when I used to cover the boat for the winter.

Philster

Captain

I have a high-speed bimini and it's supposed to be good for whatever "high speed" means, but it's getting rolled up in it's cover when running and it'll be deployed when we are hangin' out.

If you just keep it up but rolled back, it's nothing but a couple of minutes. What's the big issue? :confused:

jkust

Rear Admiral

\biminis are pretty much interchangeable words for the same thing. So far I dont mind looking through the windshield but then again ive only had the boat out twice and there was no one else on the water either times.

Better than calling it a bikini top. Wait until it is really hot out or when it is also humid and all you want to do is get out of the sun not be holed up.

I have a top like that but I'd rather stand while driving, so I replaced it with a normal tall bimini.

I stand maybe 80% of the time while at the helm underway. Truth be told because even on the hottest day in MN our sun isn't even close to the intensity of the sun in the southern states so I usually keep the bimini in its holder in the engine compartment. If I'm ambitious I can put the curtains and the front window curtain on and go out in the rain but i'm not that ambitious usually.

Philster I meant to quote you on 'what's the big issue'. I'll tell you my big issue is the way my bimini attaches to my sig boat you can't leave it up and rolled up. It's either on and deployed or put away in the engine bay. The way it attaches isn't quite the same as one that you can leave up and rolled closed. If it was life would be a lot easier.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

try it out on the trailer at about 80 mph and see how it does; closed course/professional drivers only please

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I have the exact same navy top on a 20 foot chaparral. I've had it up to 35mph no prob, as long as it is zipped up in the front. The failure point on mine was the black plastic pivot clips that hold it to the side windows. They can break (I had a broken one from the previous owner)... Good thing they sell replacements.