Putting the drive back on

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Mercruiser 3.0 with and Alpha 1 Gen II. It is on a 1988 Mark Twain 175 which I dearly love. The engine was replaced with a brand new one from Michigan Motorz in 2009.

Would like to pull my drive to check all the stuff that needs to be checked every year. Will also change the impeller. I will build a cart like one shown in the sticky.

Question is this. When I put the drive on, will I need the alignment tool? I am not understanding why the alignment would need to be reset if the engine is not moved.

Is checking the alignment just a good idea in case the engine has shifted during normal use?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Putting the drive back on

its for the alignment process and yours may not have moved but there cheap enough off ebay now and when pulling the drive off/out the gimbal bearing can be knocked out of perfect alignment especially for the re-assembling process.when you have one, you can align for an ease of assembly rather than trusting to luck.it is a must have if you want to service the drive yourself and engine mounts are wear items and these are doing a lot of work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You check the alignment each time the drive is off to simply verify that nothing changed. You may not have to change the alignment, you will just be verifying that nothing changed. It's a lot cheaper and easier to fix a minor adjustment, than to pull the engine and put in a new coupler.

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I will find one. Really appreciate your expertise.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have a Mercruiser 3.0 with and Alpha 1 Gen II. It is on a 1988 Mark Twain 175 which I dearly love. The engine was replaced with a brand new one from Michigan Motorz in 2009.

Would like to pull my drive to check all the stuff that needs to be checked every year. Will also change the impeller. I will build a cart like one shown in the sticky.

Question is this. When I put the drive on, will I need the alignment tool? I am not understanding why the alignment would need to be reset if the engine is not moved.

Is checking the alignment just a good idea in case the engine has shifted during normal use?

The first year that I pulled my outdrive off I made a cart as I thought that it weighed a lot. Then, I realized the outdrive is not all that heavy ( 150 lbs +/-), so I now use a 2 wheeler.

Just a thought in case you did not want to build a special cart.

Bondo

Staff member

The first year that I pulled my outdrive off I made a cart as I thought that it weighed a lot. Then, I realized the outdrive is not all that heavy ( 150 lbs +/-), so I now use a 2 wheeler.

Just a thought in case you did not want to build a special cart.

Ayuh,... That's a Bravo,.... Alpha's are 'bout 85/ 90lbs...

I adjust the trailer jack, so's I can just rock the drive whichever way to push it on, or drag it off...
Don't have to Lift it til it's off...

I just carry an Alpha 'round, the Bravo's Alot heavier....
I gotta build me a cart for 'em,... ;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ayuh,... That's a Bravo,.... Alpha's are 'bout 85/ 90lbs...

I adjust the trailer jack, so's I can just rock the drive whichever way to push it on, or drag it off...
Don't have to Lift it til it's off...

I just carry an Alpha 'round, the Bravo's Alot heavier....
I gotta build me a cart for 'em,... ;)

Same same.... Getting old has it's disadvantages, ah? :D

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will definitely make a cart. The sticky offered lots of options. I figured it must not be too heavy since a lot of the carts are built with 2x2's I will go with 2x4s and casters. Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member

Same same.... Getting old has it's disadvantages, ah? :D

Ayuh,.... So True,....

But, it's a 'ell of alot Better than the alternative....:p

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a cart w casters just so I could move it around with some ease and it made storage a bit easier, carrying around an Alpha isn't hard just that it's a bit awkward and if ya have to move it frequently the cart makes it easier, even for the wife if she wants a lil bit more room, and for her that can happen often, depending on er mood :rolleyes: I also build a small table for the cylinder heads so I could work on them from a sitting position as just getting home from work and being a bit tired well, kinda makes it a bit easier as well. Small helpers like the kids make a difference too, ( I still am lookin to see the ratchet I asked our son to grab me a week ago ):D, It may show up for my next birthday as his present to me, ya just never know with them. My age is not in my favor to be honest.