7.5 Gamefisher carb

woodsailboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am sorry about posting so many posts about this motor but there is one thing I forgot to mention, Just before I got the leaking problem I was tinkering with the L/U and I left the motor in the horizontal position for a few hours on a saw horse would this have anything to do with it.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 7.5 Gamefisher carb

I don't see it - Mine doesn't seem to care how I lay it down, or how long it's there. My 6hp 4 stroke , on the other hand...........

woodsailboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I took the carb off today and I decided to try something, I took the float bowl off, the float, and the needle and hooked the gas line up to see if there was gas coming from somewhere other than the needle valve and when I did I saw gas coming from the little orange gasket that has a small slit in it on the motor end of the carb and I dont know if thats normal and if not then I would like some info on how to fix it.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

That orange thingamajuter has several aliases - duck bill, fuel pump element, etc., and is a frequent point of failure. If you look in the hole it fits into in the carb body, you'll see the ports where fuel comes in and goes out. When you put the thing back in there, you want the flat sides of that duck bill pointed at the ports. That will have the slot ends on the engine side pointed at the correct 45 degrees. The slot in the flanged end of that sucker covers a vacuum port on the block, so it gets air pulses that inflate/deflate it with engine RPM. The deflate part of the cycle pulls fuel into the bore the duckbill sits in, and the flappers close on the inflate phase, so the gas can't go backwards. Cracks in the duck bill can be impossible to see, so I get a magnifying glass, and roll the thing between my fingers while inspecting the little bugger.

Tecumseh-2.jpg

woodsailboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr. crabs I cannot tell you how sorry I am about wasting your time with this stupid thing, my grandfather told me what he supposedly new about the pump and I should not have been so quick to blow off your answer about this and I hope that you can forgive me and answer some not so stupid questions for me in the future.

M

mrcrabs

I'm just a cranky old fart, I have nothing better to do than complain...pay me no mind...no one else does:)

cheers

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

By God I do when you're talking Eska/Sears, Mr. Crabinator - I pay no attention at all when you *****. When I was young, I had my little BA in Machine Tools, and I knew more than the guys who just showed up, got the gig, and were tryin to giterdone OJT. I quickly learned that new useful stuff was much more likely to come from the old mossbacks, and they did NOT sign on to be teachers. I got my information from those guys any way I could, and then, I made it clear to 'em that I appreciated it. Half the time, they had no idea what I was talkin' about, because they had no idea how much I'd learned from them. It all worked out OK - they're all just people. You are an over loaded teacher, Mr. C.. Relax, Woodsailboat - your motor is gonna run, and you are not going to alienate Mr. C., unless you say his momma's just a plain durn bad woman, and his wife dresses him funny. Suddenly, I would like to know if those things are true, but I suppose that would be a thread for the bull shooting forum, and I never go there.