water leak by transom when boat was backed into water

jesse m

Recruit
I have a 1995 18 ft sea ray with a 3.0 merc and alpha one. So I went my boat for the first time this season and when the boat was backed into the water leaking started all the back by the transom. The engine was off and was never started, but the water leak was down towards where the bellows would be. Could this be a bellows problem?

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Re: water leak by transom when boat was backed into water

yes

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the bellows are leaking, you will now need to replace the bellows, uni joints and gimbal bearing. I would also clean out the seal area on the front of the drive. This is why inspecting the bellows thoroughly is on the annual service list of items. And a cursory glance is NOT a thorough inspection.

Chris....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well the OP hasn't been back since he posted this 2 weeks ago. My guess is he left the drain plug out of his boat and didn't want to tell anyone about it.

Bondo

Staff member

Well the OP hasn't been back since he posted this 2 weeks ago. My guess is he left the drain plug out of his boat and didn't want to tell anyone about it.

Ayuh,.... or he's till in Shock, after discoverin' the Extreme Rot in 'is transom.....