1992 Johnson 90 Starter Pinion/Bendix/ - Acting funny when hot.

bigscrb15

Cadet
I have a 1992 Johnson 90 that I replaced the starter on about 2 years ago. I think I may have made a mistake by buying it from DB Electrical. Anyway, my problem is this. The starter will act normal for the first time or two I start the boat. If the boat is cold and stalls again and I have to try it 3-4 times to start it the bendix gear will engage the flywheel, turn it over at normal speed then it will stop but the starter will continue to run until I let off the ignition. It only does this when hot so I am assuming whatever is on the shaft from the starter to the bendix gear is changing size with the heat and not holding. Can just this piece be replaced or am I looking at a new starter? I appreciate the help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson 90 Starter Pinion/Bendix/ - Acting funny when hot.

You can perform a simple test on the starter. When you sense it is not functioning properly, try to jump start the starter direct from a well charged battery with jumper cables. If the starter cranks normally on the jumper cables, the problem is elsewhere. (which is likely on a fairly new starter.) If the solenoid is old, it could be the problem. Old solenoids can eventually form carbon on the internal contact tips and won't transfer battery current properly when the key switch is turned to start.

bigscrb15

Cadet

emd, Thanks for the quick response. I don't think it is the solenoid. I am posting 2 videos that show the issues. The first video, I walked right out to the boat, took the cowling off to video, primed the bulb, and started it up. It fired up fairly quickly and stalled because I didn't have it choked. Once it stalled I try it again and get a click, click, click... Stopped filming, tapped the starter lightly with a hammer and then filmed the second video. Second video shows my biggest issue. It tries to start and then the flywheel and bendix stop completely even though the starter is still turning. Obviously it sounds terrible and I shouldn't let it go, but had to do so in the name of theatrical presentation!

Video 1 : http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/bigscrb15/Boat Issues/?action=view&current=MOV001.mp4
Video 2 : http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/bigscrb15/Boat Issues/?action=view&current=MOV003.mp4

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That second video is very unusual. You seem to have a few issues. 1. The starter does not always activate when you turn the key to start. That could be a starter solenoid or even a bad control key switch. I can hear the solenoid clicking with no starter rotation. It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on from the jerkiness of the video footage. 2. Sounds like a lot of grinding with little rotation of the bendix. Possible the twisted gear face inside the benidix is bad. That could also account for the slipping noise... You can remove the nut on the top of the starter amature and visually examine the inside of the bendix (drive gear.) Bombardier makes a bendix kit for their factory starters. The bendix gear is 385949. The nut/spring/spacer kit is 3933543. 3. On really old (high number of run hours) starters can get very noisy when rotated. That usually is related to the grease drying out on the armature. This is unlikely on such a new starter. This is not usually a fatal problem, just requires the disassembly and relube of the armature bearing ends. If the bendix is not the problem, I'd tend to pull the starter apart. That way you could have a look at the brushes and the commutator surface on the armature. If you put a rebuilt starter on it, possible something is burned inside. Either a brush or part of the comm.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You need a new starter bendix.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like Bendix to me too. Probably bad cuz its too hard to start. Sounds like you have other issues as well. My same motor cranks with just a twist and a push even in 40deg weather