1996 Legend V17 Guide (aka Smokercraft stiletto 16) built in tank Mod and resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I've been lurking and learning for a bit now and finally started my resto mod. The old ratty carpet was replaced last year along with the casting deck, rework the open rod locker and repowered fom a 40 HP Force to a new Merc 90HP 4 stroke. This year I started with a fuel tank replacement/relocation and I'm ending up with a MAJOR upgrade resto.
New 76L under deck fuel tank replacing the old 45L above deck, Baystar hydraulic steering , merc monitor gauges, nmea 2k network, hds-10 with Structure scan 3d sonar, moving trolling motor battery fwd , reboarding ladder, new hatch install and hatch cover upgrades on the casting deck, new consoles, red/ white LED lighting for all compartments and deck lights, LED Nav lights, Horn, Audio system, full electrical replacement with custom breaker and switch panels, 400w inverter, solar trickle charger, built in bait well , washdown pump and backup bilge pump. The tear out is complete and I've started the rebuild, so far the consoles are built and wating to go in, the fuel tank is installed and the deck is going back in. I'll post a few with with comments and details to follow,

Questions and comments are welcome, Art

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1996 Legend V17 Guide (aka Smokercraft stiletto 16) built in tank Mod and resto

HPIM1835.jpgHPIM1850.jpgHPIM1839.jpgHPIM1840.jpgHPIM1843.jpg

The old Moeller 45L tank coming out, rivets drilled out and floor pulled up. it was a little grimey in the center compartment with some foam blocks in the fwd area. some mild corrosion on the stringers was cleaned up with simple green cleaner and a green scotch brite pad

I added alum brackets fwd and aft of the new Moeller 76 L tank then found a closed cell camping pad on sale for 4.99 at princess auto to pad the tank, The floor supports over the tank had to be modified by flattening the flanges on the underside to clear the tank. all rivets replaced were pop rivet style , 3/16 dia and 3/8 long for the floor supports under the deck and 3/16 by 5/8 long to secure the deck using the original holes.

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1996 Legend V17 Guide (aka Smokercraft stiletto 16) built in tank Mod and resto

HPIM1844.jpgHPIM1845.jpgHPIM1847.jpgHPIM1848.jpgHPIM1849.jpg

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

HPIM1830.jpgHPIM1832.jpgHPIM1850.jpgHPIM1854.jpgHPIM1855.jpg
Main deck almost all replaced, the rear section has to be trimmed for the tank ports and a new baitwell goingf in under the splashwell where the old fuel tank was . Pics to follow this week as it goes in along with those new consoles. The old consoles were 1/2 ply and very rotted, the new ones use the old alum hdwr. but 3/4 ply painted with latex bathroom paint, mildew resistant etc and covered in foam backed vinyl from the surplus store ( very tough pebbled leather finish and only $2.49 a sheet 39x63 or 46 x47) I added some nice stainless cup holders, new hydraulic steering eco monitor and switch panel to go in after the consoles are installed. hopefully this week if I can get the time.

cheers, Art

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

just one pic today, pulled the casting deck to replace the carpetted gunnel panels with matching vinyl, covered the inner compartments and installed a LED light in the livewell. Looks pretty clean with vinyl vs carpet on the gunnels

HPIM1858.jpg

I'm waiting on hardware to finish the baitwell install and the second bilge pump as well as add float swithches for both bilges to have auto and on settings for both, then I can finish securing the main deck. Once the main deck is rivetted down, I'll coat with another layer of poly resin for extra water resistance

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, sorry a few days without pics but the resto is moving along, the deck got a coat of resin, the consoles went in, wiring is underway, Hydraulic steering is in (Baystar) but needs to be filled and bled. Merc monitor installed, LED lighting, LSS1 (structure scan) module installed .... looking good so far, still waiting foe bits and fittings for the baitwell and bilge float switches then I can squirt a little foam around the corners of the fuel tak, the baitwell etc and button up the rear deck.

HPIM1859.jpgHPIM1860.jpgHPIM1861.jpgHPIM1862.jpgHPIM1867.jpg

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

HPIM1875.jpgHPIM1876.jpgHPIM1877.jpgHPIM1880.jpgHPIM1884.jpg

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

A few more pics, consoles with Hydraulic steering and new wheel installed :D pass through installed in the upper transom, press fitted alum tubing passing 1/4 inch past the double alum inner wall and outer sealed with epoxy putty, sanded and painted. Once all the xducer cables are through it will be plugged with a rubber or plastic cap
Still waiting for baitwell hardware and HDS-10 unit :(

HPIM1885.jpgHPIM1887.jpgHPIM1888.jpgHPIM1894.jpgHPIM1897.jpg

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

Working on the breaker panel wiring today. Fab'ed the case from sheet alum scraps and a few strips of diamond plate, populated with surplus Milspec Aircraft DC breakers
HPIM1901.jpgHPIM1902.jpgHPIM1903.jpgHPIM1904.jpgHPIM1905.jpg

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

HPIM1906.jpgHPIM1907.jpg

the baitwell is plumbed in, the fuel tank and baitwell got a light spray of expanding foam just to keep them from vibrating, original deck went back dow with 3/16 x 5/8 alum pop rivets and a fresh coat of resin to keep it water resistant. The baitwell access is a 6" round access cover in the splashwell, just have to seal it all up and add a small bracket under the splashwell to keep the baitwell firmly in place

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

almost done now, just have to get new canvas made.
HPIM1912.jpg holes in the transom below the waterline from the po mounting a transducer patched with epoxy putty (cold weld) then sanded primed wiith chromate spot puttied and painted to match HPIM1920.jpg digital conversion kit for current 75-115 fourStrokes (details of the install in the smartcraft thread) HPIM1943.jpg water pressure sender installed HPIM1949.jpgpitot pressure connected

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

interior pics added a passenger side rod locker door to match the driver side. Baitwell added under splashwell HPIM1956.jpg
electronics upgrade includes merc monitor and gateway passing data to HDS-10, HDS-10 linked to new VHF DSC radio allowing the VHF to transmit position , speed and heading and Vessel ID data when distress call is made. HPIM1951.jpgHPIM1957.jpgStructure scan option for HDS-10 allows mapping of real time 3d bottom structure to Navionics charts.
new electrical panel, LED cockpit, deck (red and White) , compartment (red and White), livewell and baitwell lights and NAV lights

dual auto bilge pumps, live/baitwell timer, 24 V trolling motor upgrade with dual AGM batteries HPIM1952.jpg
terrova 80 lb , i pilot (built in GPS to "anchor" or record and playback routes) ,with remotes . built in xducer wired to my old humming bird FF in the bow ( I have a HDS-7 on the way to replace it, it will be networked with the HDS-10 and structure scan etc. to allow all engine, structure data to be displayed and rear xducer or the terrove xducer)

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

HPIM1953.jpg remote control spotlight HPIM1958.jpg tidied up the hydraulic streering lines and motor wiringHPIM1961.jpg crowded dash ;) but it works HPIM1955.jpg minnkota alternator charge aportioning unit to share 60 A output from the motor between 3 batteries, on demand charging HPIM1959.jpg 2011 90 HP fourStroke (easy starts,quiet,and gets 3.2 Km/L at best cruise , Thats about 9 Mpg at 30 Mph cruise) top speed 72 Km/hr (45 Mph) but she still needs to be broken in and I have some tweks to do on the xducers etc to reduce drag

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

pro mariner 20 plus onboard charger wired under the bow with a 110 port panel mounted just below the FF HPIM1952.jpgCasting seat with height adjustable pedestal
Baystar Hyraulic steering and a sweet new wheel provide precise finertip control ( no more torque steer wrestling matches) HPIM1961.jpg baystar cylinder fits easily and looks stock HPIM1964.jpg touched up paint on boat and trailer HPIM1960.jpg motor support with welded bracket on the trailer (hydraulic steering prevents the motor from tilting and the support relieves stress on the transom HPIM1963.jpg hmmmm maybe an electric winch with wireless remote would be nice??

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Good lord man! Lot of work but you've one heck of a fishing machine.:D

Toolman9ca

Recruit
Hi all, I've been lurking and learning for a bit now and finally started my resto mod. The old ratty carpet was replaced last year along with the casting deck, rework the open rod locker and repowered fom a 40 HP Force to a new Merc 90HP 4 stroke. This year I started with a fuel tank replacement/relocation and I'm ending up with a MAJOR upgrade resto.
New 76L under deck fuel tank replacing the old 45L above deck, Baystar hydraulic steering , merc monitor gauges, nmea 2k network, hds-10 with Structure scan 3d sonar, moving trolling motor battery fwd , reboarding ladder, new hatch install and hatch cover upgrades on the casting deck, new consoles, red/ white LED lighting for all compartments and deck lights, LED Nav lights, Horn, Audio system, full electrical replacement with custom breaker and switch panels, 400w inverter, solar trickle charger, built in bait well , washdown pump and backup bilge pump. The tear out is complete and I've started the rebuild, so far the consoles are built and wating to go in, the fuel tank is installed and the deck is going back in. I'll post a few with with comment

s and details to follow,

Questions and comments are welcome, Art
Great minds think alike, I have the same boat and the list of mods is almost identical, love how it turned out, waiting for autopilot to install over the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.