Grease zerk wont take grease

markn88

Seaman
ok im trying to lube my merc gen 1 strendrive and when i hook up the grease gun i am not able to put grease on. i give it 3 pump and the pressure pushes the grease gun nozzle of the zerk. i end up with a blob of grease over the zerk. what is the problem? full of grease possibly, ps i didnt grease it last year.

thanks for looking

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Grease yerk wont take grease

ok im trying to lube my merc gen 1 strendrive and when i hook up the grease gun i am not able to put grease on. i give it 3 pump and the pressure pushes the grease gun nozzle of the zerk. i end up with a blob of grease over the zerk. what is the problem? full of grease possibly, ps i didnt grease it last year.

thanks for looking

Dirt and crud often clog up the hole. I take a toothpick or ice pick and clean it out a little, and it should take grease fine. If that doesnt work, have someone move the joint around a bit while you are greasing. Sometimes this will help to create a vacuum.

markn88

Seaman

well i poked the holes with a toothpick but i like the movement idea

rickryder

Commander

change the zirk fitting......

markn88

Seaman

i went and bought some today before work as a last resort in case that was the problem, just wanted to make sure there wasnt a trick to it or if the drive had to be in a certain position

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

don't make a new zerk your last resort..... just toss the old one and install a new one..... 2 minutes and done.

markn88

Seaman

Alright guys here's the solution. When putting grease gun to fitting make sure your adaptor is the right size for the zerk! Ahh felt like an idiot, (hand to face) lol . Well all lubed with new zerks.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Alright guys here's the solution. When putting grease gun to fitting make sure your adaptor is the right size for the zerk! Ahh felt like an idiot, (hand to face) lol . Well all lubed with new zerks.

Hahaha, we all learn our lessons, sometimes more than once. :p