First wet slip nerves..

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was anyone else nervous the first time they docked their boat in a marina? Im renting a slip for the first time at a great little marina in my local lake. They are very personable, and say if there is ever a problem, like the boat taking on water from a failing bilge they will trailer it and call me. And if I breakdown in the lake they will send out the tow boat which they only use for marina members. The lake is 40 miles from my house so I'll only be there about once a week, sometimes every other week.. Something about leaving my boat on the water and not seeing it for 2 weeks makes me very nervous. Did anyone else feel like this the first time they got a wet slip?

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: First wet slip nerves..

I did that. It wasn't so much not seeing my boat. It was learning to back it into the slip that gave me the willies. I had an old Starcraft Holiday that we trailered and then a Checkmate Convincor that we also trailered. Then we bought our cruiser and kept it in the summer slip. Man oh man, I thought I would never figure out how to get that boat backed into a 12' space. Now that I think back, it's kinda comical. The marina staff take great care of our boat and I've never had a worry. They check them all the time and I'm sure the staff at your marin will do the same. Rest assured and have a great summer. :)

tpenfield

Staff member

Don't be nervous, it is non-productive.

I leave my boat on a mooring all season and it is about 90 miles away, so I get to see/use it only on weekends and vacations. It always seems to be there when I arrive. . . and if it isn't, there is always the 'next' boat to start thinking about.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

After Huricane Irene, the flooded river my boat is on put our docks under water. Imagine leaving your boat out in a rushing, flooded channel, with debris floating down it, on two bow and one stern anchors... That was a nervous week. The next week the docks almost went under, with boats in the slips.

It takes getting used to, but our boat should do fine.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I've been wet slipping all season for as long as I've been boating (it'll be 5 years this season) and yes, it used to make me nervous. In reality, it really isn't much of an issue. Secure the boat well. Invest in a cockpit cover and the bilge pump will seldom run at all. Docking is the hardest thing to get used to, but you will.

My .02

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The first time I left my boat in the slip all week, I felt like a 1st time father of a new born. Had that need to check every two hours during the night to make sure he was sleeping peacefully. Sure enough, he slept comfortably and I lost the sleep. No worries (as my Aussie friend would say).

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Lake? Try sleeping through tide cycles. You got to allow for a 4' rise and fall. All it takes is a half inch of boat to catch on or under the pier and it's history.

It took me years to sleep the first night on an island, worrying about tides and wind and if I cross tied the boat right--because it was a long swim to shore if I didn't.

I find Scotch helps.

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys.. This is making me feel better.. When Irene hit, this marina actually took every single boat out of the lake because of flooding.. That kinda showed me how much they care and that my boat is probably safer in their hands than in my own. It sounds like the hardest thing is just getting it in and out of the narrow slip.. My friend has been boating for years and told me to just go in super slow and keep it straight, drive a little past my slip, come to a stop, put it in neutral and turn all the way towards you slip, then just pop it in reverse once or twice and slowly drift in. I'm gonna see if they will let me in a few days early so I can practice before it gets loaded with boats.

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Eric, sounds like you've landed a great marina. As far as docking the boat, my friend can't back a boat worth crap, but he always has eye candy onboard, usually bikini-clad. There's always a crowd of guys to help him into the slip, they even set all of his docklines!

Mi duckdown

Commander

It all depends on wind and current. dont panic . you will figure it out. F/N/R. And maybe F/R/N

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a couple of suggestions:

go practice an approach on something out in the lake you can't hurt, and where no one will see you.

If there is wind or current, work against it, not with it. If you can't, be ready for it, and try not to let your bow get blown over.

Don't be afraid to leverage off pilings--that's what rub rails are for.

When you back in, watch the motor. The boat follows the motor.

On any slow speed operation: don't try to throttle back to the slowest you can go, instead, coast in neutral, and bump the boat as needed. Not only do you have better control, you won't strip your gears shifting back and forth.

The object is not to use reverse (or forward when backing) as a brake, but to get your speed where you have a gentle touch landing.

depending on the set up, once you get the bow set, or tied off, use the reverse to pull the boat over to your side.

Learn to throw a coiled line, if you have to toss lines. For most of the docks I use, having a running block (knot) in the end of the line helps; I can toss the line across the dock and the knot catches between the planks, as a temporary cleat to pull myself in. I prefer a monkey's fist in the ends of the lines.

chriscraft254

Commander

I back mine in also when docked, but unless there is specific rules of having to back it in, you can always pull it in. It is much easier until you get use to things. Try backing it in when its not a busy weekend. Don't forget to have the proper fenders and lines that you will need to secure her up right to the dock.

Also, theft in a marina is always possible, so make sure you lock things up. Also, if you don't have a back-up bilge pump, now is the time to install one. Should be on a seperate battery, seperate circuit etc. If you need diagram, we can provide you with what you need.

More boats sink while docked/moored than any other time. Is your boat self bailing or not?

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 19' wellcraft bowrider.. So with the floatation foam it could swamp but not likely to sink. I don't have a backup bilge at the moment. I was planning on putting one in and placing the float switch a little higher then the main pump and running it off a small 12volt like a lawn mower batter to save on space. I also bought a 101 minn Kota trolling motor, I was thinking of using that as I dock until I get more comfortable.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Was anyone else nervous the first time they docked their boat in a marina? Im renting a slip for the first time at a great little marina in my local lake. They are very personable, and say if there is ever a problem, like the boat taking on water from a failing bilge they will trailer it and call me. And if I breakdown in the lake they will send out the tow boat which they only use for marina members. The lake is 40 miles from my house so I'll only be there about once a week, sometimes every other week.. Something about leaving my boat on the water and not seeing it for 2 weeks makes me very nervous. Did anyone else feel like this the first time they got a wet slip?

Where in N Jersey are you and what Lake?

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 19' wellcraft bowrider.. So with the floatation foam it could swamp but not likely to sink. I don't have a backup bilge at the moment. I was planning on putting one in and placing the float switch a little higher then the main pump and running it off a small 12volt like a lawn mower batter to save on space. I also bought a 101 minn Kota trolling motor, I was thinking of using that as I dock until I get more comfortable.

A 19' bowrider is easy as pie to back into a slip. You'll get the hang of it in no time. This is defniitely one of those things that's easy to get ourselves all worked up over, and then once we've done it twice can't figure out what we were worried about.

Just go find a nice calm spot on the lake away from other boats and putt around in reverse at idle speed for awhile. On a boat that sized, once you've gotten the hang of it, backing into the slip is actually a lot easier than pulling in forward.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a 19' wellcraft does not need a back-up pump, back-up battery and there's no reason to use the trolling motor; learn to do it right the first time, if for no other reason than your pride. You're too big for training wheels.

You're over-thinking this. Look at all the boats in the marina. The marina people know what they are doing, so do the boats on either side; it's a lake with no tides or currents. Don't tell me it's a floating dock, too. I doubt you will ever see a sunk boat except one neglected for months at a time, or from leaking bellows.

If you have family aboard, tell them to stay seated with their hands in their laps (that's how you protect against crushed fingers). Designate one helper. If you're still all concerned about it, get one of your neighbors or a marina staff to go in and out with you a couple times. If it's staff, tip him and make a friend for life.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

So with the floatation foam it could swamp but not likely to sink.

At that point it's as good as sunk since everything important is already under water. For me to slip a non-self bailing hull like that, I'd have no less than custom bow and cockpit covers and redundant bilge pumps.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rack storage, trailer, and wet docked, have done all three and a slip is by far the best.

The boat suffers because it's not handy to work on like it is on the trailer, but you will use the boat a ton more when it was already in the water just waiting for you to take her fishing.
You just go from work to water. No going home to load up, no ramps to wait in line for, no phone calls to get the boat in the water (rack storage). The slip is just sooooo much better.

Sounds like you found a great marina and that's the main concern.

If there is shorepower, then use it for the batteries at least. The marina will be more than happy to show/sell you everything you need to hook it up. :D
huts

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree that keeping it in the water is the way to go, if you can.

But i disagree about leaving shore power hooked up to a 19' wellcraft. Maybe it's my salt-water perspective, but the less power leaking around, the better for corrosion. Battery switch off; pump independently wired, is all you need. Plus it's an unneccesary expense. KISS.

I happen to know that if you leave the plug out of a 17' bayboat the bilge pump will run and keep it afloat for at least 12 hours. BTDT; long story involving vandals. Your battery has to start off dead dead dead not to be able to handle a rain storm, even the big squalls.

BTW I have kept many a non-self-bailing boat in the water spring-through-fall, uncovered, single battery, but at the house; we'd usually pull them up if we were going out of town for a week or more, but even that was not necessary; just so Dad could enjoy the trip better. Had one fill up when the pump broke; not a serious problem. had a 16' starcraft with no bilge pump; we just ran the water out after it rained.

After all this, if you are still worried, apply Scotch.

chriscraft254

Commander

I agree that keeping it in the water is the way to go, if you can.

But i disagree about leaving shore power hooked up to a 19' wellcraft. Maybe it's my salt-water perspective, but the less power leaking around, the better for corrosion. Battery switch off; pump independently wired, is all you need. Plus it's an unneccesary expense. KISS.

I happen to know that if you leave the plug out of a 17' bayboat the bilge pump will run and keep it afloat for at least 12 hours. BTDT; long story involving vandals. Your battery has to start off dead dead dead not to be able to handle a rain storm, even the big squalls.

BTW I have kept many a non-self-bailing boat in the water spring-through-fall, uncovered, single battery, but at the house; we'd usually pull them up if we were going out of town for a week or more, but even that was not necessary; just so Dad could enjoy the trip better. Had one fill up when the pump broke; not a serious problem. had a 16' starcraft with no bilge pump; we just ran the water out after it rained.

After all this, if you are still worried, apply Scotch.

So I guess you know everything about the Op and the marina as well!!!!

Doesn't matter what you know about a certain boat and how long the bilge will run on YOUR battery.

Guess you know what type battery the op has and how charged it stays!

Guess you know how large a bilge pump he currently has and how much hose and height of the outlet so you can calculate how long it will run and how much water it will expell!

Guess you know the hours of the marina personel and exactly what there experience of each individual on duty is.

Since you know all this can you educate us on how long his pump will run on his battery on his boat and how much water that pump will pump out in an hour calculated of coarse with the rise and fall of the outlet hose and the run. also how long will it take for his boat to sink if that one bilge pump fails and its raining 3 inches per hour? Just curious since you know so much.:)

The point is, you don't know everything and coming on here and arguing or telling the op that its a waste of time or money is not good advice to me. Some of us other boaters also have plenty of experience mooring boats. I personally have helped with probably 20 sunken docked boats and have seen atleast a hundred over my lifetime.

More boats sink at the dock than anywhere else!! Its not guess work. Boats sink because of poor maintenance but also sink because of alot of other reasons. Mostly because the boat is overwelmed with to much water and the pump is not working or it just can't keep up. Maybe someone smacks into your boat. Maybe one of your thruhull fitting cracks, maybe a battery fails, maybe you left a light on and the battery is dead, maybe one of the clamps that should always be double clamped on bilge hose comes off because of constant pumping of bilge water, etc etc.

Even self bailing boats sink at the dock. All it takes is clogged up drains from leaves or debris. I have seen it happen plenty of times. The boat is usually fine, but the motors are under water.

Most 19 foot boats will have plenty of room for a second bilge pump install. Even with two pumps installed the boat can sink.

Shore power would be great, but you can also opt for a onboard charger that you can plug in at the dock to keep batteries fully charged.

Both the options above are only good if the shore power doesn't go out. Thats when having to fully charged batteries and a back-up pump is a real good idea. Alot of boats that sink are boats that rely on shore power and they had no clue until it was to late that the power was out. I would say half the boats that sink at the dock were during very strong downpour storms that also probably nocked out power to the marina. some marinas, very very few have back-up generators.

A back up bilge pump/ system is always, ALWAYS a good idea! Covering a boat that is not self bailing is AlWAYS a good idea! Checking on your boat regularly while it sits in the mooring is ALWAYS a good idea. Making sure your systems are correct and in good working order is ALWAYS a good idea.