1st pontoon...need advice for 22' Fish...'08 Sweetwater or '07 Xpress/Veranda + price

bjack56

Cadet
Found these (2) pontoon's set up primarily for fishing as I prefer. Would appreciate any advice from experienced users on build, reliability, etc...and a fair offer price, as this is my first boat. Will be lake use only.

Both:
22' length
galv. dual axle trailer
25" pontoons
Pop-up privacy
Playpen cover
Appear to be in excellent, well cared for condition

'07 Xpress (now Veranda "label for pontoon boats), hard to find early model info.
3 fishing chairs
115 Yamaha w/ 1yr warranty left
All aluminum welded deck w/ Rhino liner
Trailer has disc surge brakes
Autopilot trolling motor Minn-Kota (think it's 55 lb. thrust?)
Fish Finder, but unknown make/model for now

'08 Sweetwater
4 fishing chairs
90 Yamaha w/ 2 yr warranty left
All vinyl floor w/ snap-in carpet for center/pit area
Factory aluminum underskin
No brakes on trailer
Autopilot trolling motor Minn-Kota 24, 70 lb.
Bow mounted Lowrance Fish/Depth for trolling motor
Lowrance GPS/Fish/Depth at helm
Transom saver (for trailering)
Hour meter

Both are asking $20k, but seems a little high based on other pontoon's I have found over the last 2 yrs. of looking. ANY comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: 1st pontoon...need advice for 22' Fish...'08 Sweetwater or '07 Xpress/Veranda + p

Welcome to the forum, Bill. Both are good quality rigs. Looks like the previous owners did all the hard work for you and set these barges up nicely, and w/ good power. Price is so dependant upon location around the country, but down here, 12k-16k for clean 4-5 yr old pontoons w/ trailers in really clean shape. Good luck !!!

bjack56

Cadet
Re: 1st pontoon...need advice for 22' Fish...'08 Sweetwater or '07 Xpress/Veranda + p

Thanks Rooster,

I like the extra's on the Sweetwater like the snap-in carpet & underskin. Not too keen on their 24' o.c. deck support spacing, but think the aluminum skin would offset that?? It's a little lighter than the Xpress/Veranda due to having less furniture.

I know the will both ride smoother & faster with the smooth underside. Afraid I might regret going with the 115 hp, but no experience to validate my concerns. The Xpress has no ski tow bar.

Decisions...decisions...:facepalm:

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well to be honest, I would be going with the Sweetwater IF i'm using it for fishing. A 55# trolling motor on a pontoon will be quite a workout and drain more batter than a 75 #. Also you'll be saving gas by going with a 90 hp vs. a 115. Now this all depends on what your using it for. If you really are just using it for fishing mainly then i'd still stick with the Sweetwater. However, down the road if you think your going to be pulling tubes with family and doing a lot of trailering then i'd stick with the trailer that has brakes and the 115hp. Just my opinion but both sound like great rides.

bjack56

Cadet

Cubby,

Thanks for the feedback. Will not need to use the trailer very often, maybe 1-2 times a year. There is very little furniture on the Sweetwater making it lighter than a cruise type pontoon. I was thinking 2 people in the boat + 1 for ski or tube might work for non- fishing fun. Doesn't underskin add about 5mph in speed?

First boat so my opinion/guess above is solely based on forum discussion.

Any suggestions for a fair offer (asking 20k)?

Bill

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really wouldn't worry about underskinning your toon if your really not going to be tubing all that often. Besides a 90 hp on a 22' with very little people and less furniture will pull a tube just fine. I would offer 17,500 I guess and see where it goes from there. I usually work my way up to their price but then have them add things like life jackets or gas tank, etc.

bjack56

Cadet

Cubby,

The Sweetwater is already underskinned & the Veranda has all aluminum deck, so just like skinned.

The $17.5k was what I was thinking IF the asking price was not inflated.

Thanks