Looking to purchase this Starcraft, but not sure which model it is

fin reaper

Cadet
I haven't seen it yet in person, but the owner says it's a 1979 24ft Starcraft, but couldn't tell me the model. Anything in particular I should be looking for when inspecting this boat?

Does anyone have any pictures of what the fishing deck looks like?

starcraft1.jpg

starcraft2.jpg

starcraft3.jpg

Attachments

• starcraft1.jpg
    starcraft1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking to purchase this Starcraft, but not sure which model it is

24' Chieftain? OB version?

Well, what's his asking price? Then we can kinda tell ya what your expectations should be at a given price point eh.

Happy Hunting!:)

fin reaper

Cadet

He's asking $3500. I didn't see a 24 Chieftain in the brochure section for 1979 - maybe it hadn't been added yet? That said, considering all models in the brochure section, I didn't see any 24' near that year as well; they seemed to jump from 22' to 25'. Thanks!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think that sometimes the 24' and the 25' can be considered one in the same (maybe).

At the $3500 mark I'd really want to know the condition of the transom and deck. You'll definitely want to be digging around looking for rot and soft spots in all the corners and hidden areas on the deck and transom. If it's original I'd think it's about time to replace. And, if that's the case, you are looking at a gut and rebuild job.

So that said (if in fact that is the case), is a boat that needs to be rebuilt worth $3500? Only you can answer that one fin.

All the best!:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi fin. Along with the things Jason mentioned, I see a couple of things that would affect my offer if I was looking at this one. The cabin windows have been covered & filled in and a support pole is jury rigged in the give support to the cabin roof. Also the swim ladder mounting location and method looks kinda funky. These 3 things = less money in my mind because I also wonder what the hidden problems are. One more thing - Is the hull dinged up above the trailer fender? Could just be reflections but the rest of the hull doesn't look that shiny. Any idea on the condition of the motor?

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it but not for that much $$$. Bear in mind I'm only using the pics for reference and I could be all wet. Keep your eyes and mind open. Good luck, fin.

fin reaper

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. What a pile! Engine didn't run. All of the floors/wood walls were soggy/moldy. Aluminum looked to be in descent shape, minus the hand brushed paint job. Lower front windows were painted. The hardtop was 'Custom'. I think I'll pass.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you just saved a lot of money, fin. You will find the boat you want, just might take time but she's out there.