Riser and exchanger Cleaning

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering what chemical I could use to clean my riser, manifold and heat exchanger out with that won't hurt the metal ? Basically something that could be put into a spray bottle and squirted in, let set for a few hours and then hosed out.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Riser and exchanger Cleaning

Toilet cleaner...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the heat exchanger needs cleaned out, your local radiator shop can boil it out for you an pressure test it.

If your risers and manifold are plugged up, they get replaced, not cleaned. Being plugged up is the first warning before they start leaking water into your engine and costing you a new engine.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

they aren't plugged they have some deposits in them and I just thought getting it cleaned out might help this ole gal out a bit

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can use molasses but you need to pull them off the motor and soak for a week

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

On the heat exchangers: You can look through the tubes after the caps are removed.

Mix up a batch of commercial radiator flush in a bucket, and soak the heat exchangers in the liquid. Then, flush with clean water.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If this is for a 470, then as far as the riser (exhaust elbow in the 470) goes it is filled with antifreeze, and you only need to be concerned with the water exiting the heat exchanger and flowing into the exhaust. Remove the exhaust hoses and check it. You need to make sure that the passageway is clear of any obstructions, and that the water flows freely. For the heat exchanger the book recommends removing the endcaps and cleaning the tubes with a brush, then blowing them out with air. By FAR the best thing you can do is keep the impeller in good shape. If you want to flush the engine, use automotive flush.