wire guage for trolling motor?

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 55-lbs. thrust Minn-Kota bow mount trolling motor and I'm going to be installing the batteries for it in the ski locker of my boat. So I was wondering what gauge wire I should run between the three batteries and up to the trolling motor plug. So I guess what I'm really asking for is the the max draw from the motor, if anyone knows.

This is in a Wellcraft Sportsman 180. I can't tell you the length of the run for sure, but around 10 feet.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: wire guage for trolling motor?

You said "three" batteries!!! How are these wired -- Parallel??? If this is a 55# motor it is a 12 volt unit and it draws 50 amps maximum. Wire gauge depends on how far the batteries are from the motor. Distance is both directions so if batteries are 10 feet from the motor that is a 20 foot run. Google "Ampacity Charts" to determine wire gauge. In general, #8 will work but #6 would be in order for longer runs.

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: wire guage for trolling motor?

You said "three" batteries!!! How are these wired -- Parallel??? If this is a 55# motor it is a 12 volt unit and it draws 50 amps maximum. Wire gauge depends on how far the batteries are from the motor. Distance is both directions so if batteries are 10 feet from the motor that is a 20 foot run. Google "Ampacity Charts" to determine wire gauge. In general, #8 will work but #6 would be in order for longer runs.

Thank you, I figured it was 50 based on other topics but I just wanted to make sure. And yes I meant parallel! :p

So two more questions if you don't mind, how should I fuse this? Would something like this be right, or overkill? And would I be looking at a 50A or 60A fuse?

Second question, is there any reason to use a plug marked as a trolling motor plug? Won't any 12V waterproof plug work?