To flush or not to flush?

tombowman45

Recruit
I have recently stumbled on a very good deal on a slip that would be ideal for my 15' Cobia which has an older 2 stroke 75 hp Evinrude. The only draw back is that there is no fresh running water nearby. Running boats in saltwater, I have always flushed my outboards after every use. I know there are some who believe it is not necessary, or say once in awhile is fine. Anybody care to weigh in on this one ? Salty Capt.'s only. Thanks, Tom

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: To flush or not to flush?

Are you actually wet storing/docking this rig in salt water OR after running in salt water, do you run some distance up river away from salt water? If you travel up river some distance, you're out of the salt and into brackish water which will flush the engine out effectively. For many years, I worked in the Maurice River/Delaware Bay area and hundreds of boats were in the Delaware Bay daily, then docked up river a couple miles or so. I never encountered a salt ladden engine under these conditions.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have recently stumbled on a very good deal on a slip that would be ideal for my 15' Cobia which has an older 2 stroke 75 hp Evinrude. The only draw back is that there is no fresh running water nearby. Running boats in saltwater, I have always flushed my outboards after every use. I know there are some who believe it is not necessary, or say once in awhile is fine. Anybody care to weigh in on this one ? Salty Capt.'s only. Thanks, Tom

look around. You will see thousands of boats that are stacked in those in & out racks that have never been flushed in their entire life. Will they last as long as boats that never get put in salt water?? Of course not. Then there are those that fall somewhere in between those extremes. You pay to play. You just pay more to play in salt water.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Just make sure all the water is drained from your system. I have seen motors that had all the cooling jackets packed full of salt water corrosion, because of failure to flush.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pull the boat at the start and end of the boating season flush & do your pms, keep motor tilted so prop is clear of the water, keep a cpl gallon jugs of fresh water in boat/truck to wipe down exterior and under the bonnet with a damp rag, spray with wd-40 / or similar. kb

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Outboards are designed to be used in salt water. While it is nice to have the ability to flush them, it is not essential, especially on the motor you described as "an older 2 cycle 75HP" motor.

I live on the saltwater. It is not the demon some folks describe it as. Actually the boat and motor hold up a lot better than the deck furniture and even electronics ( i.e. stereos) kept inside the house.