Blowing in-line fuse on starting circuit 200hp 1979 Evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a (new to me) 1979 Evinrude 200 hp V6 which blows fuses when I use the choke solenoid on a cold start. This fuse is next to the starter solenoid and is 30 amp. I suspected that the solenoid was the problem but with it electrically disconnected the fuse will still blow when the choke/key button on the control box is pushed in. I can get around the problem by manually choking the engine on a cold start but that means engine cover removal each time. Any ideas would be appreciated. I will be pulling the circuit apart starting at the control box for each connector and working toward the stern. Anyone with similar problems in the past? Thanks for reading..................Don

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Blowing in-line fuse on starting circuit 200hp 1979 Evinrude

sounds like you have a wire crossed on your key switch.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The power fuse on that engine should be a rather short 20 ampere fuse, not a 30 ampere.

Obviously the Purple/White wire leading from the "C" terminal of the ignition switch to the choke solenoid is faulty, shorting out somewhere if the fuse still blows with the wire disconnected from the solenoid. If you can't locate the short with an ohm meter, simply run another wire.

The above holds true UNLESS you have some other wire also attached to that "C" terminal of the ignition switch.

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are correct; I checked on marineengine.com and it shows a short 20 amp fuse; the boat as I received it had a 30 amp long fuse, so I expect the former owner had the same problem and increased to a 30 amp. When I can leave the tarp off the boat for good, I'll be tracing the wiring back through from the control box. I really expect to find some corrosion at the connectors near the control box. Thanks for your help..................Don

SparkieBoat

Captain

start with the key switch, it is easy for a ground wire to cross over to the choke wire as they are all very close in proximity.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

start with the key switch, it is easy for a ground wire to cross over to the choke wire as they are all very close in proximity.

Sparkie is correct about the ignition switch terminal. I neglected to mention that.

cruiseryacht98

Recruit

The power fuse on that engine should be a rather short 20 ampere fuse, not a 30 ampere.

Obviously the Purple/White wire leading from the "C" terminal of the ignition switch to the choke solenoid is faulty, shorting out somewhere if the fuse still blows with the wire disconnected from the solenoid. If you can't locate the short with an ohm meter, simply run another wire.

The above holds true UNLESS you have some other wire also attached to that "C" terminal of the ignition switch.
Would that fuse be a 20 amp on a 1998 also? It is a very short glass fuse with only 3/16" of glass to view the fuse link?

MOD EDIT: Please review the rule regarding posting to old threads. This one is 11 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.