New Carver Owner-1990 Santego 2767

Ckale

Cadet
So last summer we bought a 1990 Carver Santego 27'. So far, we had owned 3 Sea Rays, but decided to try something new. Was able to clean it up and take it out once last year, before the season ended. Now that spring is coming, would like to get it ready and make sure everything is good to go.

Motors and outdrives are origional, with only about 175 hours on them. Twin 4.3 Volvos with duoprop outrives.

Winterized it before storing it over the winter, took off the outrives completely and have them sitting in my garage. They need some cleaning-up, since they had been sitting in salt water for a while.

Things that need attention:

Side-windows leak

Will be putting in new cabin carpet

Trim cylinders leak, ends were rotted so wouldn't seal

H-forks need replaced or sandblasted/repainted

Gauges are finicky, one of the trim gauges reads backwards

Head/toilet needs work

Overall though, love the layout and size of the boat. Works great for our family in combonation with our ski boat.

Also need to figure out what pitch props we should be running, at around 3700' elevation

Seemed awfully sluggish for a 27' boat..

Any advise about these problems or just this boat in general would be much appreciated!

View attachment 135457View attachment 135458

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New Carver Owner-1990 Santego 2767

Side-windows leak
The best fix here is to remove them from the boat, clean around the window opening, and then rebed them with some kind of suitable sealant. If the windows leak between the glass and the frame, they may need either new felt (if this is a sliding window and what is used) or to be resealed, if a fixed window.

Will be putting in new cabin carpet
The magnitude of this greatly differs boat to boat. Some boats they are glued to plywood, some have fiberglass floors, some have wood and the carpet is stapled, some have carpet pads... If your floor is flat, it might not be too tough to remove and replace. If the floor is countoured it might be a bit tougher. Keep the old carpet to make templates from. Keep in mind also, if you have an access hatch, you may want to wrap the carpet over the edge of the hatch opening, as well as the hatch itself. It should look nice, and keep it functional without the removal of any carpet.

Trim cylinders leak, ends were rotted so wouldn't seal
Sounds like a fairly straight forward remove the old rusty part, and replace with new. Probably a method to bleed the system as well

H-forks need replaced or sandblasted/repainted
Same as above, easier if just needing repaint

Gauges are finicky, one of the trim gauges reads backwards
This trick worked on my boats tach, I'm unsure on others. If you remove the guage there may be a "pole selector" as I believe its called, on the back. I spuns this a few times back and forth and my tachs have worked since that day.

Head/toilet needs work
What kind of work? I have done sanitation hoses on my Cruisers, and currently building a whole new set up on the Silverton. I may be of some help, if the system matches up to the ones I am familiar with.

Overall though, love the layout and size of the boat. Works great for our family in combonation with our ski boat.
The 27' Santego does look like a roomy 27'er. I have only been aboard one of them, and that was a good 10-12 years ago, so I vaguely remember it.

Also need to figure out what pitch props we should be running, at around 3700' elevation
I'm unsure on the prop pitch, but can attest to elevation being detrimental to a vehicles performance. We race cars, and keep track of altitude, or how the altitude works out when factoring heat and humidity, with ever pass.

Seemed awfully sluggish for a 27' boat..
What kind of performance does the boat offer? I imagine 7000 lb dry weight, could even be more. Twin 4.3s should move it alright. I would assume low 20 knot cruise speed, with a top end into the low 30s.

Ckale

Cadet

Planning on removing windows and resealing. (they are fixed, not sliders)

The floor is all flat. Previous owner took out all the carpet and put in crappy vinyl stuff. Will be removing that in putting in some nice,
fresh, plush carpet. Should be pretty easy

trim cylinders and h-forks will either be sanded down and repainted, or replaced. Shouldn't be bad since they are off the boat. It sat in salt water for quite a while, so they are pretty detiorated

ill check out the gauges and see if they have a pole selector

the toilet is a raritan. Seems pretty nice. Had to work on it some to get it working. Now the outlet pump works fine, but the inlet (water) pump keeps eating the plastic impeller

It is huge for a 27'er. We have had 27' and 29' Sea Rays, and its much bigger. Overall its almost 32', and i think 10' wide.

At the elevation we are at, it is not getting the correct WOT rpms for the 4.3, so i need to figure out what my gear ratio and props are, and see what I need for this elevation. It used to be at sea level, its now around 4k elevation.

Does anybody know where to find the gear ratio on volvo penta 290 duoprops?

Carver2767

Recruit

Hey, we also have a 1990 Santego 2767 that we just bought last October. We are really looking forward to this boating season also. We really enjoy the space and layout of this boat.

The manual we have shows the 205 Volvo Duoprops with 2.3:1 gears spinning B-6 props. This is the setup we have as well.

You may want to check out this site also. http://1987carver.com/info/index.html

Andy

Ckale

Cadet

Yep I checked my gear ratio and mine is also 2.3:1. I am spinning b5 props

Carver2767, what elevation are you at, and what kind of speeds/rpms are you seeing with those b6's? Thanks!

I'll check out that link

Carver2767

Recruit

We are at sea level pretty much. We haven't had a chance to run it wide open yet but we are planning on taking it out this next weekend so I will take notes and let you know. We've been spending the off-season getting some of our issues taken care of and I think we are all set now. We just set an all-time record for wettest March on record so our opportunities to take it out haven't been great lately but hopefully next weekend will be better.

Carver2767

Recruit

We took the boat out for about 7 hours today. We never ran it wide open but we did go pretty good. At 4000 rpms we were running 28-29 mph all day. We hit 4400 rpms at one point and were doing 32-33. These were via the GPS and were not improved with trim tabs or drive trim. I was pleased with how well it did. It's a heavy boat so it takes a little bit to get her going and get up on plane but once you do she cruises right along. Beautiful day and we're actually staying on the boat again tonight. BTW we used about 1/4 of a tank in the port tank and about 1/8 of a tank in the starboard and ran it for the whole 7 hours, but much of it at no wake speed. Seemed pretty good.

Ckale

Cadet

That is impressive, sounds like its running good! Excitied to get ours all tuned up and see if it will do just as good. Thanks for all your help! Will let you know how it goes

Jo-Leigh Capt

Recruit

I've had the same problem with the side windows on my Santego. The window frames have a channel to hold the rubber weather stripping. This channel holds water. This water wicks up between the inner frame and the glass. I noticed the leaks as stains on the side upholstery. While addressing the problem I noticed that the frames have no weep holes. I fixed the problem by creating weep holes in the outer frame to let this water drain outside the boat. I removed the lower outer weather stripping, drilled 3- 1/4 inch weep holes from the outer frame into this channel being careful not to drill into the inner frame. One hole at each end and one at the seam. I replaced the rubber weather stripping and the leaking stopped. The only maintenance is to insure that the weep holes remain clear. This has worked for me for 5-6 years. Good luck.

Tagerman

Seaman

I just bought a Carver 2157 Montego and while this is a different boat I have to say I am blown away with the build quality of these boats. I have owned old 4winns and old sea rays and they were never in the ballpark of this boat. It's a 90 model and people think this boat was built in the last 10 years. I hope you guys have the luck with yours that I have had with mine. What a beautiful boat! I think a Santego is next for me my buddy has one and I looooooooove it.