More sealegs questions

Myrtonos

Seaman
I have more questions about sealegs, (a) I have wondered what happened to the rugged amphbious craft that was proposed back in 2005. (b) Given that aeroplanes have had retractable landing gear since the 1930s and that hydrostatic transmissions have long been fitted to lawn tractors, forklifts and agricultural machinery it puzzles me that sealegs didn't exist until very recently.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: More sealegs questions

I would say 2008 happened to the amphibious vehicle, the callapse of the workd economy killed alot of projects.

As for Sea Legs, no one made the connection until recently also the market for mowers and forklifts is vastly larger than the few hundred sets of Sea legs sold a year.

Myrtonos

Seaman

I do wonder how old the idea of such a boat is though.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... What the 'ell is Sea Legs,..??

Any pictures, or links,..??

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome Bond-o

HOW LONG CAN I DRIVE WITH THE HONDA INBOARD MOTOR?

You can drive for a maximum of 10 minutes, which is approximately 1.6km. Run time begins the moment you start the engine.

WHY ONLY 10 MINUTES OR 1KM ON LAND?

Because the Honda inboard engine and hydraulic transmission oil are air cooled, after 10 minutes of constant use it requires approximately 50 minutes to cool down before use again.

Lame.

If you live on a beach or across the street, then yeah, it saves you the trouble of hooking up the trailer and moving the tow vehicle, but you sure ain't gonna just drive this thing home from across town.

And, if you live on the beach, dont you just have a dock/boathouse/lift anyway?

Theres such a small audience this will appeal to, it just doesn't seem like it would ever make much market headway.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I think the hovercraft is much better than this! I thought it was funny how that tire in front turned when they were turning the boat in the water...lol and I was watching a video of it on land and the guy was trying to turn it and the Evinrude was turning and not the front tire...lol

Myrtonos

Seaman

Cost, weight, expense and need are what have limited the use and popularity.

Similar toys and ideas have been presented in the past such as the Quadski http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8Fn55axd4 and the Watercar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4cw565V98&feature=related

These are a little different in that these are vehicles with full amphibious capability, the quadski is an all-terrain vehicle as well as a vessel. These actually have wheel arches, the sealegs does not. The watercar and the aqauda are intended for use on public roads as well as on the water, whereas the sealegs only has powered wheels for driving in and out of the water, on and off trailers, and into and out of garages. Still, the techology behind this boat is very old, so it's still puzzeling, in spite of the small market, that this boat wasn't around decades ago.

We can not forget the hovercrafts either.[/QUOTE]

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I like the idea but also see limited utility. The devices add weight and also would be in the way. However, they would be great for tidal flats and barrier islands, especially for those such as rangers and bird monitors who hae to visit them frequently. Also good if you lived where storm conditions make a dock or mooring infeasible, or for a vacation home where you don't want to leave the boat overboard.

despite what they claim, I have my doubts about them holding up to salt and sand.

Myrtonos

Seaman

Another question is whether the company plans to license it patents for use on other types of vessel?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

This thread had me a little confused for a while... These are the sealegs that i'm used to seeing. (someone in one of those two companies really needed to research names first!)

These sea-legs are landing gear for pontoons. They are gaining in popularity but are still to $$$ for my blood. Couple guys at my lake have them and love them, it makes parking, tying up, beaching, all so much easier.

http://sea-legs.com/

SeaLeg+Pic.jpg

Myrtonos

Seaman

Also, why is sealegs an inflateable rather than a proper boat? Which the RAC would have been. Check out the Penquin, it is indeed a proper (jet) boat, and can be towed without a trailer, and has an electric rather than hyrostatic transmission. By the way, could catamarans also include this landing gear system in which case the platoons might (also) be retractable, apply this to a havercraft and one colud combine the water base propulsion and added resistance to crosswind dift and economy of a hovermaran (or suface effect vessel) with the amphbious capablility of a flexible skirted ACV.