1986 Johnson 9.9 tilt pin stuck

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
So the tilt pin on my 9.9 is rusty, and stuck in place in the lowest hole in the clamps. I've hit it with some PB blaster to try and work it loose with not much luck. Any suggestions on how I can get the pin out?

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1986 Johnson 9.9 tilt pin stuck

Use some heat. There isn't some kind of pin on the opposite end of the tilt pin holding it in place, is there?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Nope, just a straight pin with a plastic latch on one end to hold it in place. I'll bring out the heat next and see how that goes.

BonairII

Commander

Make sure there isn't some kind of notch on the pin that requires you to twist the pin first before being able to pull the pin out.

If there is nothing , but rust keeping the pin frozen......get out a hammer and give it a whack.

kbait

Commander

Or get another pin to use in 'higher' holes. If you have it in hole '1', a new pin will probably work fine in holes 3,4 and 5, but 2 may be too close to your stuck pin for the locking arms to clear. That said, you should be able to remove it w/force and lube, and maybe heat. If it really won't budge, you could cut the middle out and start whacking it out from the center.. and then new pin anyway. Salvage yards will have used pins.. try Tim's first 218-682-2331. Good luck!