Rectifier-regulator causing ignition failure... HOW COME?

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Johnson J50TLERE (94 50 hp). Intermittent total ignition failure. Today I finally got back to troubleshooting the engine now having a DVA Adapter and using the CDI troubleshooting information.

The Stator Checks perfectly as does the trigger and charge coil. Since the stator checked correctly I followed the process outlined and removed the Regulator-rectifier from the circuit (yellow and yellow-grey wires). Spark to both cylinders restored. Hooked it back up and it still worked. (This has happened before during previous troubleshooting but I didn't realize it was because of the regulator-rectifier being removed and replaced.)

The first question is WHY did that work? I was told by some learned soul that the regulator-rectifier was not part of the ignition system and couldn't cause this problem. I have recently replaced the original regulator-rectifier with a used part because in the charge back circuit there was a 900 ma short to ground which was draining the battery. After replacement the drain was eliminated and is not back at this time. Of course it's possible that there may be two bad regulator-rectifiers.

I just don't see how this can logically be causing ignition failure. If it's not really the rectifier I would waste my money replacing it.

HELP!

patrack

Cadet
Re: Rectifier-regulator causing ignition failure... HOW COME?

Johnson J50TLERE (94 50 hp). Intermittent total ignition failure. Today I finally got back to troubleshooting the engine now having a DVA Adapter and using the CDI troubleshooting information.

The Stator Checks perfectly as does the trigger and charge coil. Since the stator checked correctly I followed the process outlined and removed the Regulator-rectifier from the circuit (yellow and yellow-grey wires). Spark to both cylinders restored. Hooked it back up and it still worked. (This has happened before during previous troubleshooting but I didn't realize it was because of the regulator-rectifier being removed and replaced.)

The first question is WHY did that work? I was told by some learned soul that the regulator-rectifier was not part of the ignition system and couldn't cause this problem. I have recently replaced the original regulator-rectifier with a used part because in the charge back circuit there was a 900 ma short to ground which was draining the battery. After replacement the drain was eliminated and is not back at this time. Of course it's possible that there may be two bad regulator-rectifiers.

I just don't see how this can logically be causing ignition failure. If it's not really the rectifier I would waste my money replacing it.

HELP!

I have the same problem I believe. I hooked a timing light up and when the engine stalled every cylinder went dark then came back to life along with the timing lite no matter what cylinder. I did some investigating and the rectifier controls the voltage and the higher you rev the engine the more voltage it needs to run the coils. when the voltage fails the coils shut down. I found GREAT source for explaining this and trouble shooting it http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/troubleshootingguide. Click on the guide and its just like turning the page of a book Hopefully I will be able to fix mine from what I have read there today.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Rectifier-regulator causing ignition failure... fixed

Re: Rectifier-regulator causing ignition failure... fixed

Problem solved. It was the power pack.