New 470 Owner couple of questions

cheaperts

Seaman
Hello folks, couple of questions for you on a new to me 470 MC1 rig. Recently bought a 1981 Glastron 18' bowrider with 250 hours on it, no modifications at all, looks showroom under the doghouse. I went through it, replaced gimble and bellows, impellor, changed lower unit lube, some random hoses etc. Took her out for it's first real extended run today, man it screams! Couple of minor concerns:

Part of the time the volt gauge was indicating as much as 17 volts, 2/3 of the time 13-14 volts, the 17 volts was worring me. It is a regulator/stator no conversion-yet...

When I fueled the boat, being unsure if the gauge was accurate I didn't really know how much fuel I could put in it , I really expected the gas pump to either shut off like it does with a car or for fuel to fill the filler neck or even burp out, what I didn't expect is for fuel to eventually squirt out of the vent, which it did?!? Problem?

At one point on the water I was playing with the trim, had been running full down and it does have a working limit switch, I trimmed it up to see how it behaves etc, took off & after a second or two we either lost grip on the prop or something, reved up fast as if out of the water, don't believe it spun the hub or anything, but really startled me as it was not trimmed up that high(seems to be very small amount from down to trim limit)

The volt, gas, tach are all rather "jumpy" they bounce around alot, I was reading the average so to speak. From what I've seen on Ebay they appear to be the original Merc gauges, just getting old maybe?

Only other problem was the wife is only one who caught fish! I'd apprecaite any insight into these issues, this is my first I/O and after reading about 470's, I'm paranoid!

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New 470 Owner couple of questions

Do you still have the stock charging system or does it have an alternator?

cheaperts

Seaman

stock, planning to run it till it fails, then convert

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Could be your regulator is starting to go, get yourself a good digital voltmeter and check the voltage to make sure that your gauges are OK. Might want to look into an alternator conversion. It would probably be a good idea to go over all of your electrical connections. My boat does the same thing if I overfill it. Sounds like you trimmed up a little too high and you experienced prop cavitation, where it basically sucks in air and it forms a kind of a bubble around the spinning prop an looses "traction" with the water. Some boat/prop combinations are more sensitive than others.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Hey cheap,
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people who don't own 470's that will bad mouth them and why Mercruiser ever put together this concocked engine/system we'll nerver know. But it's what you own and I own and after addressing the a couple of key issues with this engine/system the 470 is a pretty powerful package. As you have already stated you know about the stator/lawnmower charging system, next is the cooling system, don't ever let your engine overheat toooooo much or for a long period of time. After that there is an issue with the front cam bearing seal leaking but there is a pretty simple fix for that (search 470 cam seal, there was alot written last week about this fix) After that it's a good engine if maintained.

It appears to me that most of us 470 owners also work on them to some degree so you are in the right place for advice from 470 owner. The exceptions are Don S & Bondo, between them they have forgotten more than we'll ever know about any marine engines.

You will also need aware of www.breezeworks.net (not real active) this is a 470 only site and sells the best and most affordable 470 conversion kit on the market.

cheaperts

Seaman

I've read and read here and at classicglastron.com about the horrors of the 470, if it were not for the overall mint condition of the boat and driveline I would have passed, but I dig old glastrons and this one owner grampa owned boat was a bargin I couldn't pass up. Was turning 4000-4200 WOT, thats not too high for the 470 is it? Can't find any markings on the prop, but it is almost instantly on plane, don't think I care to mess with props unless thats too high of an RPM

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... Was turning 4000-4200 WOT, thats not too high for the 470 is it? ...

Book spec for 470s is 3800-4200, so what you're getting is spot on.... My preference is to run at the top end of the recommended range... It lightens the engine load slightly and is easier on the engine...

Sounds like you have it all sussed out. The only question I would have is the heat exchanger, what size, 3" or 4"?

Chris.......

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

do the conversion now don't take the risk of the voltage reg pushing out to much volts it will do damage to other electrical parts

cheaperts

Seaman

unfortunately I have the 3", and I know everyone wants to say immeadiately swap to an alternator, but you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it...I do want to get a 4" exchanger and do the electrical conversion in the very near future, time and finances say watch em like a hawk. Besides finky electrical systems seem to be a hobby of mine, I drive an older Jag too...talk about problem electrical systems!

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Hey cheap,
You can find many 470 items for sale at breezeworks as well as ebay. Like a 4" heat exchanger.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... I drive an older Jag too...talk about problem electrical systems!

They have a Lucas system on them, don't they.... Lucas - Prince of Darkness..... :D :D

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

unfortunately I have the 3", and I know everyone wants to say immeadiately swap to an alternator, but you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it...I do want to get a 4" exchanger and do the electrical conversion in the very near future, time and finances say watch em like a hawk. Besides finky electrical systems seem to be a hobby of mine, I drive an older Jag too...talk about problem electrical systems!

The engine was originally designed with the 3", and IMHO the 3" exchanger is adequate, if your cooling system is in tip top shape. The 3" does not allow much room for error, if your impeller becomes worn or the exchanger dirty you could be in for some trouble. I believe it would be wise to replace it at least every other year.

Hello folks, couple of questions for you on a new to me 470 MC1 rig. Recently bought a 1981 Glastron 18' bowrider with 250 hours on it, no modifications at all, looks showroom under the doghouse. I went through it, replaced gimble and bellows, impellor, changed lower unit lube, some random hoses etc. Took her out for it's first real extended run today, man it screams! Couple of minor concerns:

Part of the time the volt gauge was indicating as much as 17 volts, 2/3 of the time 13-14 volts, the 17 volts was worring me. It is a regulator/stator no conversion-yet...

When I fueled the boat, being unsure if the gauge was accurate I didn't really know how much fuel I could put in it , I really expected the gas pump to either shut off like it does with a car or for fuel to fill the filler neck or even burp out, what I didn't expect is for fuel to eventually squirt out of the vent, which it did?!? Problem?

At one point on the water I was playing with the trim, had been running full down and it does have a working limit switch, I trimmed it up to see how it behaves etc, took off & after a second or two we either lost grip on the prop or something, reved up fast as if out of the water, don't believe it spun the hub or anything, but really startled me as it was not trimmed up that high(seems to be very small amount from down to trim limit)

The volt, gas, tach are all rather "jumpy" they bounce around alot, I was reading the average so to speak. From what I've seen on Ebay they appear to be the original Merc gauges, just getting old maybe?

Only other problem was the wife is only one who caught fish! I'd apprecaite any insight into these issues, this is my first I/O and after reading about 470's, I'm paranoid!

They make a whistle that you can install on the vent line. As the tank is filling the sound pitch will change and eventually stop when fuel hits it. I have one as close to the tank as possible and haven't had the overfilling issue since.

Here's the link to their site with more info about it:
http://www.greenmarineproducts.com/products.html

Attachments

• boat whistle.jpg
    boat whistle.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stony is the outside measurement of the exchanger the actual diameter or the inside of it where the 3 or 4 comes from? I have a 4 " on mine. Not that you couldn't tell the difference by sight alone but the weight is another difference as well.

cheaperts

Seaman

it is the Outside Diameter, I was sad when I put the ruler to mine, 3" and a hair. BUT....running 165 degrees all day yesterday! So it's doing it's job so far

cheaperts

Seaman

They make a whistle that you can install on the vent line. As the tank is filling the sound pitch will change and eventually stop when fuel hits it. I have one as close to the tank as possible and haven't had the overfilling issue since.

Here's the link to their site with more info about it:
http://www.greenmarineproducts.com/products.html

BRILLIENT! I'll be getting this pronto thanks for the heads up!

cheaperts

Seaman

Another question/concern on the boat, the steering is really free, all my other boats had a knob on the helm to tighten the wheel or hold a heading, none on this one and it will just snap one way or the other, feel like I can't let go under way or we are going to TURN! Also do any of you secure the drive when it's on the trailer? I have chocks on the Rams to keep it for creeping down but going down the road I can look back and see the wheel freeling spinning in the slightest turn, afraid i'm going to hurt the drive or transom with it back there flaing back and forth

dubs283

Vice Admiral

on boats that dont have power steering the trim tab anode on the drive is used to counteract drive torque while undeway

if the boat wants to turn one way on its own the torque tab isn't set properly, it takes some trial and error but you will have to experiment with which way to turn it and how far

you turn the tab in the direction it is steering more easily, like if it turns super easy or on its own to the right, turn the back edge of the tab to the right

as far as trailering, you may have to clamp the wheel somehow to prevent it from turning

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

it is the Outside Diameter, I was sad when I put the ruler to mine, 3" and a hair. BUT....running 165 degrees all day yesterday! So it's doing it's job so far

There you go, a perfect example of a 3" a cooling system in good shape. Keep that raw water flowing at a maximum and it should stay that way. You may be able to get away with a weak impeller in a 4" but not the 3". Nice boat BTW:).

cheaperts

Seaman

There you go, a perfect example of a 3" a cooling system in good shape. Keep that raw water flowing at a maximum and it should stay that way. You may be able to get away with a weak impeller in a 4" but not the 3". Nice boat BTW:).

thanks Stony, been color sanding and buffing gradually, man that old metalflake pops once the clear is polished smooth, I was marveling yesterday out on the water, bright sun, was like fishing in a Disco!