79 Mercruiser stuck in gear

Wrongway1516

Cadet
1979 merc cruiser 120: the propeller will move to the left, but not the right. How do I get it out of gear without using the shifter so I can get it started? Can someone direct me to a picture or video to help me fix this?

Thanks!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 79 Mercruiser stuck in gear

It is in reverse. Why not shift the control to forward and then back to neutral? The only alternative is to remove the gearhousing (lower).

Wrongway1516

Cadet

The throttle will move the carbuerator but no other cable. Is there a way to move that cable manually? I am hoping to find a picture to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It sounds almost like your throttle only button is stuck "in" and your shifter is not engaging. You could try disconnecting the shift cable (the cable that runs from the shift mechanism at the carburetor to the transom) and see if you can push it. That might get the gearcase to shift. Prop should move freely in either direction in neutral.

Bondo

Staff member

The throttle will move the carbuerator but no other cable. Is there a way to move that cable manually? I am hoping to find a picture to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks

Ayuh,... Disconnect, 'n shift it at the shaft switch, probably mounted to the manifold, or valve cover...

Wrongway1516

Cadet

Thank you for all your help going to try it today and see it it works.Will repost if it works.