470 timing cover

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am beginning the removal of the timing cover on my 470 and in the impeller is an Allen screw, can I just take this out and then the impeller, or is it more complicated than that? Curious.....reading threads on 470's not all built the same but want to make sure I don't break anything, or do it out of sequence and damage it.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 470 timing cover

That allen screw is a stud that is locktitied into the cam and is not removed. You remove the impeller by holding the stud with an allen wrench and turning the impeller with a wrench on the hex molded into the impeller. I believe the you need to turn the impeller clockwise to remove it.

Here is a page out of the manual with the two different types of impellers used. If you look close at the impeller it is labeled off with an arrow on it.

Attachments

• e impeller.jpg
    e impeller.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the impeller was off about a half hour after I posted that, thanks it's the new style impeller guys, but the stud seems to be "frozen" in the cam, or part of it. From the article I saw it's not right, or is this misleading Eric / Stony? Help me narrow this one down guys, will post pics later this evening. I used
an impact on it to get it off but only to loosen it nothing more. Inspected the threads and they seem to be good, put some wd on em and spun it a few times then removed it and set it off to the side. Now the other issue....the stud. Will it come out we'll have to see. Once I reinstall this stuff at the end is using red loctite the way to go or use the blue, or does this depend on the location and function?
Today I hope to get the gimbal off and the rest of the bracketing and hopefully not run into anything but Murphy might be lurking around so you just never know.:D

If the threads are ok, I would leave it in the cam. The stud probably has locktite on it, will have to be heated to remove it.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Like Eric suggested, that stud would have been installed with Lloktite (8831 which I believe is red) at the factory, and will need to be heated to remove it. That should be a conventional thread, and unless you have some compelling reason to remove it, I agree, leave it. If removed I think red Loktite for a "permanent" instillation would be used. The direction that the impeller turns would tend to loosen the stud otherwise.