86 cobra 4.3 20drg.s to hot

MRS

Commander
Changed thermostat water pickup hose and water impeller. But still running 180 should be 160 deg.s. I did see wear fixnman had about the same problems and said he changed bushings and gassgets but wondering if they are in the circulating pump on the motor or the water pump on the outdrive? Need to fix this and boat will be running good ready for summer temps.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 86 cobra 4.3 20drg.s to hot

Have you checked the exhaust manifolds and risers? If they start plugging up, the first indication is starting to run hotter as the corrosion inside increases. Do you run in salt or brackish water?

MRS

Commander

It is a sierra thermostat #383307 said replacement for omc/cobra.
Water seems to flow good but will check to make sure they are not plugged. What is best way to test this? Thanks for any help... Fresh water 99% of the time..

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

order new riser gaskets and remove risers to check - at that time, you can also check for a broken water shutter (flapper) blocking the Y pipe.

MRS

Commander

Before I start taking stuff off is there a way to check for blockage? And make sure that I do have a good water flow.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

hmmm I wonder if you even have removable risers. If they're the original 1 pc manifolds, you'll have to remove the manifolds. and look up the riser sections - poke some wire through the openings.
25 year old manifolds rarely pass inspection.
the one piece manifolds were a bad idea originally because they are almost impossible to clean out scale and rust.
worth looking in the Y pipe to see what shutters look like anyways.

MRS

Commander

Yup this is what I have I did take out again and same thing I did drain manifolds and block, the manifold on the starboard side always have to run a wire up it to make it drain. lots of stuff comes out I looked in the manuel and cannot see where they show any shutters? it is a factory manuel for the year of my boat. Looks like I need to check and clean the best I can does the passage does it just run staight thru the manifold front to back? I will remove to clean Thanks for your replys.....
DSCN0529.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Looks like you have lots of access at least - should be easy to get the manifolds off and out.
Looks like core plug #29 below might be removeable -could aid in cleaning/inspection - I'm not too familiar with the 1 pc manifolds.
#22 is the shutter (there is 1 per side). I think OMC actually recommended not replacing them if they fail, but they can fall down and block the exhaust (restricting exh and water from exiting)
43exh.jpg

MRS

Commander

Howard, Thanks looks like I will check the shutters first see if they fell off then go from there. I just changed the transom shift cable and the boat has never ran and shifted so sweet and smooth. Get this fixed and will be chasing them stripers again Thanks again will check this weekend...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

OMC manifold change 6-2011.jpgomc manifolds.jpgYou have the one piece units, how hot do they get? After a lot of use, they will show some clogging in one or more of the exhaust outlets. They are not hard to remove because OMC had the good sense to use studs and nuts instead of bolts. Due to the design, you must loosen and slide down the lower exhaust rubber boots on to the Y pipe to get enough clearance to pull off the manifolds. I spray some silicone spray on the Y pipe to make it easier to slide em down. Here are some pix, of my old ones vs new. The old ones were in salt water 5.5 seasons and never cleaned out. After rodding them out there were ok but the ones on your boat are original (can tell by the 4.3 stickers) and so I'd check em very carefully. Fresh or salt water? you are looking for rust inside the exhaust ports of the head and manifold.
BTW with the infared heat gun, mine idle at about 115 * and get up to about 125* running on plane.

Note in the pic the plated studs have absolutely no corrosion on them at all, the nuts and washers looked the same. I had them off in about 20 min each. Getting the exh hose to slide down was more work than removing the manifolds. This boats been in salt water 6 months of the year more than half its life (24 years old). Now on third set of manifolds.

MRS

Commander

Lou, Thanks for the reply will be pulling them this weekend has been in fresh water 99% of the time. Started running hot end of last summer changed impeller thermostat and waterpickup hose still runs 20 degrees hot.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I figured that was a fresh water boat judging by how clean the motor looked. 180 is a bit too hot, my 88 usually runs between 160-170, it might come up to almost 180 after slowing down to idle after running on plane, but it will run cooler than that 99 % of the time. In addition checking the manifolds, check the water outlets in the thermo housing, sometimes they get necked down with rust. Also when you run it on the muffs, take off the cover for the impeller and look at the impeller housing, if there is water leaking (even just a little) out, then you might be pulling air IN when it's on plane and that will cause it to run hot. If you see water leaking try tightening the mounting bolts just enough to stop the water leak. The gasket for the impeller housing has to be in place properly for it to seal, I put OMC gasket sealer on them when installing. Did you use an OE or aftermarket impeller?

If it still runs hot try the water intake test with the boat in the water, you can remove the raw water intake hose at the thermo housing and have someone hold it up straight, and start the motor for just a few seconds, look at the stream of water coming out, it should be at least 2" tall, if not 2-4", that's the spec from OMC for the raw water pump output. If you don't get that, you could have a blockage in the PS cooler on the back of the engine, or leaks in the gaskets for the water tube that feeds the water from the lower unit to the upper unit.

You might want to remove and test the thermo in a pot of boiling water, I use a car radiator thermometer and the OE ones do open at just about 160 and are fully open at 175 or 180.

Mine had a running hot problem that new manifolds helped (see blockage in the pix) but did not cure. It was barnacles growing in the water intake holes (common in boats moored in salt water) and I had to break out the water screen to get all the barnacles out. After that it went back to running at 165-170 which is normal for a 160 stat.

Did it ever have a bad overheat in the past? IF so sometimes the hot exhaust water can melt the rubber gaskets for the water tube, or they could just be old and leaky. The raw water intake test (boat has to be in the water not on muffs) will tell you a lot.

MRS

Commander

No way over heat problem in the past the thermostat is brand new will try checking the impeller cover impeller is OE. Plus I remember a pee hole in the cover will squirt water about 10ft. The water intake looks good also will check shutters also if all that checks out will give the on water test and pull the hose and see how high the water flow is. If not good will pull manifolds and hopefully will find my troubles. Thank you for the reply and help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So how do you know its really 180? Are you trusting the gauge or are you using an IR meter?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If you can get a hold of an IR temp gun, measure the area on the intake manifold right under the thermo housing, that will tell you if the thermo is functioning properly, it should read from 155-165 or so there, you can also shoot the manifold and see how hot they get. Even though my gauges are the OE ones, 24 years old, the temp gauge reads within 5* of what I get from the temp gun. And when you report back, tell us what temps you get at what conditions....
Mine idles at 160-165
Normal running at 160-170. After coming off plane it may rise up to 175 briefly but then will cool down to 165.

MRS

Commander

Lou, Thanks I got the ir gun will check the area's you mentioned, but we are expecting SNOW! this weekend and the wind is blowing pretty hard already:( ya I really do live in S-Cal. high desert. Plus my gauges are OE 26yr. old and always been close to right on even the speedo is not to far off the gps speed once above 10mph. Thanks again will update when I can test.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The high desert, is that near Edwards AFB, Muroc I think it used to be called?
Snow, usually we get so much I built a frame for my winter cover to keep it from caving in, this year we got a total of 3" and its already hit 70 degees earlier this week. Lastly, I saw a guy wakeboarding on the harbor behind my house here in Long Island this morning, he must have been a bit cold to say the least, then it was about 40*......
Let us know your temps when you get some spring weather......

MRS

Commander

Will do Edwards AFB about 45min. north of here. We usally get snow once or twice every year last only a day or two have to run down the hill to pickup First Mate up at the airport she was in Austin visiting the Grandbabies, should be a fun drive with the wind and snow. After this weather ends we should be good to go weather wise here Thanks again for all the help.

MRS

Commander

OK weather finally acting normal here gaskets and new nuts and washers should be here in a day or two. I did go out tonight and take off the hose clamps and squirted wd in beteewn the rubber bellows. So now can I get the bellows off first or do I have to loosen and take manifold off and wiggle the manifold out of the bellows. Thanks again for any and all help.
DSCN0535.jpg

Last edited: