Postal Service?

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
How dependeble is your postal servise ( usps )? I just had a parcel scaned delivered, and then taken back to the post office. WE get are neighors mail frequently. In the past we had the same mail man for years at a time - now they change alot, and they might be wearing anything - I was just wondering if it has gone downhill across the land? I know they loose big money!

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Postal Service?

Sounds like the USPS is taking lessons from Canada Post. Well, what are neighbors for. ;)

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Theyre sort of losing money but only because they have to prefund their retirement. I have zero problems with usps. Ups on the other hand.....

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I have not had any problems with them, they are fast and on time here!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I notice too that the person delivering changes a fair amount and when that happens, the mail comes at all different times of day, but the service overall has been fine.

Once I called the P.O. to ask about the inconsistent delivery time and they said that the driver can set his own route as long as he gets everythihg delivered.

cribber

Lieutenant

We have a small post office and staff for our area. I try to give them as much business as possible so they don't get shut down. Thank you everyone who works at 34731... you guys rock!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 150 year old newspaper from a NH archive because it had a cover story about my ancestor. USPS lost it. :facepalm:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That is what happens when you live out in the in the sticks on Delmarva. :D

We have no problems here with UPS, FedEx or USPS here. I run two businesses out of the house so we get two-three deliveries a week on average. I cannot remember the last time we had a delivery issue worth noting.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live in a small town, have yet to get a water bill in last 6 months, they lose it. I know it's due so i go pay it

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have had the same USPS driver for the last 6 years. She is a nice lady who always speaks or waves when she sees me or my wife. She even leaves everyone a Christmas card each year. She runs her route 5 days a week. We do have the occasional mis delivered letter when the substitute driver runs. Not that big of a deal. I talked to our regular driver and she told me when she comes back from her day off, she picks up a bunch of misdelivered mail. The substitute driver always runs quite a bit later than our regular driver. I just figure he runs several different routes every week. I can live with things being a little off one day a week. As far as our regular driver goes, I think she does a great job.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a 150 year old newspaper from a NH archive because it had a cover story about my ancestor. USPS lost it. :facepalm:

I'm sorry to here that JB; what a bummer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to here that JB; what a bummer.

I was really bummed until I found another copy (at twice the price). USPS got that one through.

rivermouse

Our service is not dependable. I ordered a new debit card with my picture on it as an effort to prevent anyone from using it if I lost it. Problem is after 3 weeks I went to the bank to see what happened and they said it was mailed 2 weeks before and they had no idea where it was.."It must be lost"....The most important thing I have waited on the entire year to be delivered by the us mail AND THEY LOSE IT...They have no problem being sure I get all of my junk mail though.go figure

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our biggest problem here in lower Delmarva is that everything goes "across the bay" before anything happens to it. This adds at least one day to anything coming or going. Next day is not available. Also, if the CBBT has wind restrictions then all bets are off.

86 century

Ensign

You think you have it bad

I have known my mail man all my life.
We get the wrong mail all the time.
One guy next to doesnt even bother to ask anymore he just walks the half mile to swap it out.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

You think you have it bad

I have known my mail man all my life.
We get the wrong mail all the time.
One guy next to doesnt even bother to ask anymore he just walks the half mile to swap it out.
damn!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sent two boys to high school 30 miles away. Yep, drove them till the older one turned 16.
The usps took 5 days to get a letter from their school to me, for father meetings, etc. (always a day after the meetings)
I even mailed a letter home from a mailbox right outside of their school before 730 am and was postmarked within a day, 5 days later it shows up.
When I called the postmaster about the slow timing, well you can guess the government agency response.

All my banking and bills are done in person or electronic for a long time now.

If I'm lucky I'll get the mail from the box once a week and most of it never makes the house. (the trash can is outside)

If it wasn't the law to have that ugly mailbox in the front yard it would have been gone years ago.
Yea the box is ugly, I live out so the snowplows in the winter and the baseball bats in the summer keep it a pita, so not a good money idea to waste a dime on something that will be replaced/repaired every few months.

Privatize the mail gets my vote.

Sorry about the rant, but man I feel better. Thanks

rivermouse

On the next street over there is a house with the same number as the one we have. Over the years we discovered that the mailman will put our mail in their box and we get theirs. Once my kid ordered an expensive pair of sport shorts and UPS didnt deliver it here but we are pretty sure the othe house got them. They were never found. I think my lost credit card was delivered there also as other mail has been. Today we get an inportant looking letter that looks like it has a refund check in it delivered here and it like others has the wrong address on it. It should have been delivered to the other house. I am very tempted to just throw the frikkin thing into the trash. I am about 99% certain thats what THEY do when they get my mail. I might just stop the mailman first and warn her that in the future I will complain about getting other peoples mail and then start throwin stuff in the trash.. sorry for the long post

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you want better mail service it should be open to compettion, there is a law that says that they can not have any letter delivered by anyone other than the USPS.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You absolutely can already get FedEx and UPS and others to deliver a letter to your front door, though not in the mailbox.
You will pay about 15 bucks per letter for the privilege, and they do screw up.