Boat draft

Z. Fullarton

Recruit
Im curious about the draft of my boat when Im cruising. I have a 19ft harbercraft outboard with a 12 degreee deadrise. I know that with my motor trimmed up as far as it can go and still run, I can do about 2 ft when at idle. But how deep can I go at wide open or cruising? Should it be around the same or shallower?

cyclops2

Banned
Re: Boat draft

Trimmed up to me means, you can power raise & lower the motor. Or do you mean you TILT the the motor in or out ?

Either way I am completly guessing in general. If your boats " Squats " down at the rear and never climbs out of a very wide, white & frothy wave condition, it will be deeper than when traveling at 1000 rpms in gear.

Trimming the outboard motor to large tilt angles, PREVENTS, climbing out of that wide frothy wave. You really need near vertical to a slightly back / out / angle. That provides the most force pushing the boat foward & increasing speed to get on to a shallow running plane.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

look behind your boat when you run on plane at the hole in the water then add the cavitation plate to skeg.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Usually up on plane, with the engine (properly) trimmed, you pull about 40-50% of you "settled in the water" draft.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The problem with running skinny like that is you never know when it is going to be too skinny and now you are whacking your engine at top speed, I am on my 3rd lower from running the skinny water, finally learned and don't do it anymore.

Really skinny water is best crossd with the engine tilted up and going very slow, if the boat won't clear it you shouldn't be there or you need to get a jet drive.

Rockmere1

Seaman

Really skinny water is best crossed with the engine tilted up and going very slow, if the boat won't clear it you shouldn't be there or you need to get a jet drive.

Agreed, I tore a prop up

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

look behind your boat when you run on plane at the hole in the water then add the cavitation plate to skeg.

let someone else drive when you do this

don't use a ruler to measure the depth from the cavitation plate to the skeg while on a plane

Hope this helps

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Usually up on plane, with the engine (properly) trimmed, you pull about 40-50% of you "settled in the water" draft.

many many factors to the question.....

but the above is a good rule of thumb