125 carburetor options

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, I've sent my 89 125 block off for a bore and hone. I'm now starting to look at my carburetor collection. In one of my trades I picked up a bunch of parts from a 1996 120. The carbs appear to be very similar with the earlier style (primer instead of choke and a second needle adjusting screw). Here are my questions?
1. Will they work?
2. Are there jetting differences?
3. Are they improved?
4. If so, are they worth the trouble?
Any comments appreciated, you guys are the best.IMG_4947.jpgIMG_4952.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 carburetor options

1. Yes, they will work.

2. Yes, there are most likely different sized jets. You don't need to change them though. Jet size is a function of expected airflow and internal venting within the carb itself. The engine displacement between the 125 and 120 is so close that neither it or the carbs will notice.

3. Improved? They are standard Tillotsen carbs. If you consider the missing choke plates, shafts, and turbulence they cause, then yes, they are improved.

4. Not much trouble to swap them if you have the enriching valve and hoses. Not much sense swapping if you don't need carbs and if you intend to drill the cast holes for choke butterflies. If you need carbs, then that is another story.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I've been running a set of late model carbs that use the fuel enriching solenoid on my 1988 125 for 3 years now with no problems. Had to get rid of the old choke solenoid and add the fuel enriching valve and associated fuel lines, but it was easy. Works great.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I have the solenoid and lines for new style. I also have 3 sets of the older style. I think I'll start by cleaning up a set of the older style. But I don't think I'll put the newer ones on Ebay.