85 Bravo Merc cruise o/d will not come off

Ray Harris

Recruit
I tried to put her in forward but it will not engage. I disconected the shift cable and had to tap the arm with a hammer to get it into reverse. It would not go in forward. I tried to get the drive off. I had to use wedges and hammer to break it free from the gimble housing. We got in to come out about 1/2 inch and that is all. Please advise.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 85 Bravo Merc cruise o/d will not come off

I thought Bravo drive we're not available until 1988 . . . R u sure it is Bravo?

Is this a new to you boat.?

Bondo

Staff member

I thought Bravo drive we're not available until 1988 . . . R u sure it is Bravo?

Is this a new to you boat.?

Ayuh,..... 'n has it been moored in the Brine,..?? Welcome Aboard.....

Ray Harris

Recruit

Well the hull is an 85 the the title says it is an 88 and no it was stores out of water for 6-7 years. Neglected completely. All the stringers and bulkheads floor and seats all need replaced. I have staerted the demo of those but want to get the motor running. It tries to turn over but something in the O?d stops it

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, if it is a Bravo (which it shouldn't be in a 1985 boat) you DON'T put them in gear to remove them. You leave the shifter in NEUTRAL.

While it shouldn't hold the drive tight, did you disconnect the speedometer pitot tube from the front of the anti-ventilation plate?

Bondo

Staff member

Well the hull is an 85 the the title says it is an 88 and no it was stores out of water for 6-7 years. Neglected completely. All the stringers and bulkheads floor and seats all need replaced. I have staerted the demo of those but want to get the motor running. It tries to turn over but something in the O?d stops it

Ayuh,.... Then My WaGuess is,... The drive's shaft is rusted/ seized to the gimbel bearing...

Reattach the trim rams, 'n see if they'll push the drive off....
A 2x4 might need to be jambed into the top-side to make it push Out...

Ray Harris

Recruit

Thanks Iboaters when I get back to FL I will try a few things before giving up. I figue the spline is seased to the engine. I CAN'T GET ANY HEaT ON IT SO IT MAY BE READY TO JUNK. We are in Ca for a few weeks to settle M-i-laws estate. Thanks again

dubs283

Vice Admiral

once you get back to the boat, before you try anything post some serial numbers and pictures so we can get an idea as to what exactly you are working on