Value needed on 2 Outboard Motors

retdguy

Cadet
Hi,

I have the opportunity to pick up a couple of outboard motors and was wondering if anyone could tell me the value.

The first one is early 60's Evinrude 3 hp - supposedly in excellent condition but hasn't been run in over 15 years and has probably been run in salt water.

The second one is 1952-53 Johnson TN-28 5 hp - also, supposedly in excellent condition but hasn't been run in over 15 years and, when used, was used in salt water.

The owner and his neighbor say both motors are in excellent shape and not frozen. I know it will probably cost me about $100 in parts (coils, points, impeller, carb kit, etc.). What would be a fair price to offer for both of them?

Thank you.

- Ret'd guy

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Value needed on 2 Outboard Motors

I wouldn't do much more than $300 total for the pair. Neither is worth much more than that when in excellent running condition and you'll probably have to put about $100 worth of parts into each. Otherwise, those are two cool little motors that most folks would be glad to have.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I wouldnt even go that high. Salt water + 15years sitting = nightmare overhauling :)

The TNs dont hold much value in my neck of the woods, I get them for around 50 bucks in the condition you mention. I think I have about 5 in the basement. I have been given quite a few as well for free. The Evinrude holds a bit more value, but condition is everything. Hard to say without inspecting them.

From what you say I personally wouldnt pay more than $150 for both.

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree. "Excellent condition" is a relative thing in old outboards. For some it only means it has compression. Others see it as mint showroom new. Either way, the salt water is a real red flag and sitting for 15 years, even if the look great, count on coils, points, carb kit impeller, plugs. plug wires... etc. and lots of time. I'm not saying don't buy them 'cause fixing them up is lot of fun, but don't be blinded by the "excellent condition" description. $50-75 each sounds about right to me.

kbait

Commander

I'm in MN, and rarely see salty motors, but have heard horror stories of snapped bolts, clogged waterways etc. I don't like the TD/TN 5hp carbs, so I steer clear of 'em.. although that one has the 'universal magneto' so ignition parts are no problem. I LOVE the 3hp's '52-'67! That's where my outboard wrench first started. I'd probably bring a wrench and try to loosen the lower unit bolts, and if they loosen, and it spins over w/compression, offer $75.. excellent cosmetically maybe $100. Take a peek in the fuel tank for jellysludge.. never fun.

You could pay more if you're gonna keep 'em, but for fix/sell you need to get 'em pretty cheap to make a dollar. Good luck!

dazk14

Ensign

I'm in MN, and rarely see salty motors, but have heard horror stories of snapped bolts, clogged waterways etc. I don't like the TD/TN 5hp carbs, so I steer clear of 'em.. although that one has the 'universal magneto' so ignition parts are no problem. I LOVE the 3hp's '52-'67! That's where my outboard wrench first started. I'd probably bring a wrench and try to loosen the lower unit bolts, and if they loosen, and it spins over w/compression, offer $75.. excellent cosmetically maybe $100. Take a peek in the fuel tank for jellysludge.. never fun.

You could pay more if you're gonna keep 'em, but for fix/sell you need to get 'em pretty cheap to make a dollar. Good luck!

+1 - I'm with kbait on this one. Crack the lower unit drain plug and check for water, as well.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, motors like that I see all the time for about $50 - $75 each. New ignition, carb rebuild and impeller, would be about $100 for each motor, so you'll have at least $150 into each motor, by the time it's said and done with. If you're keeping them and using them, that's not a bad investment, because you'll make your money back in the first season with the usage, but for resell purposes, you'll be lucky to make $50