Transom / Floor question

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Like many others here on this site, this is my first time restoring a boat, and like everyone else, I have done my research and I would like to thank everyone for posting up there restos, tips and hints. This site has endless amount of knowledge, it's awesome.

So here is my question

Marine Grade plywood VS the arauco plywood with the resin epoxy method.

Is it just easier and less work to puchase the marine grade plywood, rather than go thru all the work and time to epoxy, the arauco plywood.

For instance, my project will require the following:

6 sheets of 1/2" and 1 sheet of 3/4"

Using Marine Grade - total of $370 plus taxes.

Using Arauco plywood and resin - total of $162 + taxes (plywood), Epoxy - West coast system - guessing it would use 2 or 3 gallons @ $100 a gallon. For a range from $260 to $360 plus or minus using the Arauco plywood and Epoxy.

Also, wouldn't the Marine grade be denser and stronger in itself for the transom VS the Arauco and epoxy board.

So basically, I was wondering if I was missing something.

All thought and opinions appreciated, thanks in advance ...:rolleyes:

Wayne

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Transom / Floor question

HI starcrazy.The procedure is the same whether you use marine grade plywood or non-PT exterior grade. You can spend the extra money on the MG if you like, but there's no real need to. The only thing that makes it "marine" grade is that it is void free and uses very strong glue between layers, but the Aruaco brand is very good and will out live you, if properly sealed. Epoxy and/or f'glass can get kinda pricey for a small job, especially if you have to order it. If you don't want to go that route, or if you're on a bit of a budget (who isn't?), then you can use 3-4 coats of Spar Urethane/Varnish to seal the wood (paint if you like). You can also use very good exterior grade paints such as porch paint or Rustoleum Professional Oil Based enamel. While these methods will by no means waterproof the wood, you should still be able to get several good seasons worth of use out of them. Best of all they're less expensive and can be had at any Lowes/HD along with virtually all of the rest of the supplies you may need to bring your aluminum boat back to life. Regardless of the method and materials you choose, be sure you mount your new transom with stainless steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk, which is also available at Lowes/HD. Keep us posted. We love pics.