Trouble with my trim going down, but not going up????

nairboarding

Cadet
i am new here, i have a stingray boat made in 03' it is all mercruiser. I was having issues with my trim occasionally not wanting to go down and i would have to hit the switch a couple of times to get it to work. toward the end of last season, it suddenly would not work anymore lowering the trim. Up works fine.

I ran a hot wire to the green and then to the blue wire on the solenoid and could get it to operate that way. i assumed it was the solenoid where the green wire attaches. So i replaced the solenoid and it did not help.

Is there a easy way to test the switch? iS this were i should start?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trouble with my trim going down, but not going up????

May be nothing more than a poor connection, or a defective trim solenoid.
Here are the troubleshooting charts that will lead you to the problem.

Attachments

• A1G2 Trim Troublelshooting.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 3

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've had the metal pick-up in the trim sender break or become coated in grease cause this problem as well. Might not hurt to pull it off, inspect and clean it.

Don S

I've had the metal pick-up in the trim sender break or become coated in grease cause this problem as well. Might not hurt to pull it off, inspect and clean it.

The trim sender, nor the trim limit switch have anything to do with down. Up, yes, but not down.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a faulty rocker switch. However in the process of elimination, I disconnected, wire brushed and greased all of the connections in the trim circuit which, as it turns out, was probably a good thing as most were showing signs of corrosional degredation.

nairboarding

Cadet

Little confused, finally testing my voltage at my solenoid.

Trouble shooting guide says

"power trim pump motor runs in the out/up direction, but not in the in/down direction"
In/down does not click

it says---- cAuse is Open In/down circuit in trim control or pump wiring harness.<--- what does this mean?

Then it says check battery voltage at terminal 6 (which is for the in/down) while trimming Out/up.. Why would you test going the opposite direction? Am i missing something?

Don S

Go to the next page in the guide, Merc has the charts backwards.

Don S

Then it says check battery voltage at terminal 6 (which is for the in/down) while trimming Out/up.. Why would you test going the opposite direction? Am i missing something?

The info you said doesn't make any since is at the bottom of page 1C-13, if you go to page 1C-14 at the top, you will see they have the up and down testing information on the wrong pages.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you hear anything "click" when you hit the down switch and nothing happens then the copper contacts inside the solenoid could be worn or dirty.

If you have a digital multi meter, you can check for voltage on the studs. You should have 12V on one and 12V on the other when the button is pushed. If no voltage appears when you press the down button, then check for 12V on the coil. The two small lugs. You should read 12V across the two when the button is pushed.

If not, then you need to find where you are losing the 12V at. If you do have voltage and nothing happens, unwire the two small studs and turn your meter to OHMs and check resistance of the coil. It should read +/- 2ohms, if the meter does nothing, displays a HUGE number, or displays "OL", then the coil is open.

You can take them apart and see why they dont work. All you do is take it off the trim pump bracket and release the metal tabs holding the bottom plate to the plastic case of the solenoid. There will be a spring and some small parts in it so be careful when taking it apart. I had the same problem and found the silver contacts were worn off the copper plate. I just replaced mine.

If you are in a bind and need them working now you can try cleaning them up and it may start working again, but it may last ten minutes or ten weeks.

Worst case scenario, the circuit in the motor is open or shorted.

nairboarding

Cadet

If you hear anything "click" when you hit the down switch and nothing happens then the copper contacts inside the solenoid could be worn or dirty.

If you have a digital multi meter, you can check for voltage on the studs. You should have 12V on one and 12V on the other when the button is pushed. If no voltage appears when you press the down button, then check for 12V on the coil. The two small lugs. You should read 12V across the two when the button is pushed.

If not, then you need to find where you are losing the 12V at. If you do have voltage and nothing happens, unwire the two small studs and turn your meter to OHMs and check resistance of the coil. It should read +/- 2ohms, if the meter does nothing, displays a HUGE number, or displays "OL", then the coil is open.

You can take them apart and see why they dont work. All you do is take it off the trim pump bracket and release the metal tabs holding the bottom plate to the plastic case of the solenoid. There will be a spring and some small parts in it so be careful when taking it apart. I had the same problem and found the silver contacts were worn off the copper plate. I just replaced mine.

If you are in a bind and need them working now you can try cleaning them up and it may start working again, but it may last ten minutes or ten weeks.

Worst case scenario, the circuit in the motor is open or shorted.

i have replaced the bottom solenoid already. i do not get any click while pressing down. I have checked voltage on the small green wire and do not get any voltage. Trim works in the up/out position.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it just a green wire, or is it a green and white wire?

Any rate, now you can check continuity between the red/purple wire and the green/white wire.
The red purple wire is the "control voltage" for the solenoids and when the trim buttons are pressed it sends power from that wire to the green/white wire to the down solenoid. Get a friend to push the down button for you while you check for continuity. You should have it when it is pressed.

At this point, I bet you have a bad trim switch at your remote or a loose connection there. Or possibly it can be a bad connection in the plug at the trim motor as well, but I dont see it being that as its not something that generally gets unplugged and plugged back up all the time.

Don S

i have replaced the bottom solenoid already. i do not get any click while pressing down. I have checked voltage on the small green wire and do not get any voltage. Trim works in the up/out position.

Then you have a problem in the wiring from the solenoid to the helm control, or the button in the control itself. Look at the wiring diagram on the last page of the troubleshooting guide.

nairboarding

Cadet

Then you have a problem in the wiring from the solenoid to the helm control, or the button in the control itself. Look at the wiring diagram on the last page of the troubleshooting guide.

thanks for everyone's help. i have narrowed the problem to the thumb switch on the shifter.

Where would be a good place to order one?

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought here, before you buy the rocker switch. Did you pull and check the switch and did it test bad? I had the same problem in my last boat ('99 Stingray). It had the Quicksilver throttle control. The wiring coming straight from the switch down through the handle had rubbed almost in half. It would work intermittently and finally quit working at all. Pulled it apart, soldered and heat shrinked the wires and my problem was fixed. Took about 10 minutes to fix. You may have a bad switch but it's worth checking the wires if you have not done so already. Good luck.

Don S

The wires chaffing is a common problem, but usually found on much older controls, but well worth checking before trying to replace the switch.
The switches are a Mercruiser only part, you would have to get it from a Merc dealer
Do you have a picture of the control you have? They aren't listed by year and boat make.

nairboarding

Cadet

The wires chaffing is a common problem, but usually found on much older controls, but well worth checking before trying to replace the switch.
The switches are a Mercruiser only part, you would have to get it from a Merc dealer
Do you have a picture of the control you have? They aren't listed by year and boat make.

i dont have a picture with me today, but it is for a mercury 4000 shifter.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

As usual, Don got all the right links.

Man, how I'd love to have a catalog of all his links!