1989 9.9 Johnson Fuel Problem

GeorgiaMan

Cadet
I have a 89 johnson outbourd 2 stroke, it is a 9.9 .I am having fuel problems it will not stay running. What I have done is I baught a fuel pump repair kit, rebuilt it, looked over everything and it went well, when i put it back on figured it was the problem but, when it cranked, it ran for a few minutes then cuts off, dies....well you can prime it back up, and pull the choke and it cransk and runs till the gas runs out the carb. then cuts OFF. over and over, I have looked for leaky lines, loose lines,cranked line, everything looks good far as that. I went inside the carb to see if it was a sticky needle , and it was ok the carb looks clean. everythinggood on that.someone told me to try and pull the gas line out the carb and crank it to see if gas would come out the line and it don't . so i am guessing it is something to do with the fuel pump again. could someone tell me what they think could it be...:confused:

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 9.9 Johnson Fuel Problem

Probably, those kits are hard to get right. Fill up the carb bowl and disconnect the line going to the carb and put it in a gas can. Start it and observe to see if it pumps or stops pumping. Could be a venting issue, fuel bulb, or fitting connector issue.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

You could also try another fuel hose if you have one. I had one where the check valves malfunctioned on hot days and left me manually priming every 10 seconds just to get home. A new primer bulb fixed the problem.

In any event, your motor is not pumping. That can be the result of the fuel pump, the fuel hose, the fuel tank or air leaks.

GeorgiaMan

Cadet

Thks yalli have finally got it fixed it was the fuel pump i had to take it backapart and relook at the gaskets..thks
you could also try another fuel hose if you have one. I had one where the check valves malfunctioned on hot days and left me manually priming every 10 seconds just to get home. A new primer bulb fixed the problem.

In any event, your motor is not pumping. That can be the result of the fuel pump, the fuel hose, the fuel tank or air leaks.